Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Notes Field

Frequent Advisor

Notes Field

We have an issue where we have the following security in place on documents

1. Security is inherited from the container, which has security as described below.

2. Security is unclassified, no caveats

3. Access controls limited to groups.  One group (Group A) has all access controls, another group (Group B) has View Metadata,View Document and Update Metadata.

4. Security is inherited from the container

5. User profile is Information Worker

Users in Group B are unable to add/edit notes on any documents unless we also add them to the Update Document access control as well.  The manuals state the a user needs to have Update MetaData to be able to edit the notes field, so we are not sure why we need to also give them update document.

We are using TRIM 6.1.5.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Notes Field

Hi Jamie,

That certainly doesn't sound right to me, however I must admit that I don't have v6.1.5 installed in order to absolutely check it for you (I have v7 installed). 

But, I was wondering if you could take at look at the Record Type properties, and look on the MENU TAB, at the very bottom and see if there's a selection for "Allow users with 'Modify Record' permissions to Append to Notes" .

This is what it looks like in v7:

274iCCF3EE023323BEE3

Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply.  I have checked this section on the relevant record types, and all are ticked on.  Essentially this should mean any user can add/modify notes.  I am still working through to see whether I have missed somethine else that may be causing this issue.

Honored Contributor

Ok, make sure the documents don't have any default security access controls, since they will be inheriting from the container.

Frequent Advisor

Yes, thats where I was heading.  I have only just got admin access to be able to check this out.  Thanks for your assistance.

Honored Contributor

any luck with it?

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event