Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Preventing Trim clients from reverting to old WG servers

Valued Contributor

Preventing Trim clients from reverting to old WG servers

We recently upgraded to Trim 7, replacing the old servers with newer ones.  We used registry hacks in the logon scripts to alter the user's primary and secondary workgroup server configuration to remove the need for the users altering it manually.  However we find that every time Trim repairs itself through the Windows installer, it restores the original workgroup server settings that were provided during the installation.  The settings it restores even overrides changes that were formally done through the Trim client, and this occurs regardless of whether the installation is from an administrative installation or the original MSI package from HP.

Since user-level logon scripts don't have write access to HKLM when UAC is in effect, we resorted to using computer logon scripts in Group Policy to make the registry changes.  Should this really be necessary?  Is there any better way to fix this issue besides having to either keep the same server names forever or push a new installation to users after the servers change?  We already have to install the newer client for the users before upgrading the servers, so the latter does seem like overkill.

It might be worthwhile for HP to alter their installer's behavior to not overwrite the user's primary and secondary WG servers unless that information is missing from the registry.

12 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Preventing Trim clients from reverting to old WG servers

I use CNAME alias in the DNS

I use two addresses which are set in the MSI package 

TRIMPrimary and TRIMSecondary

and I then tell the IT Guysto point these to the actual server addresses in use. When I change servers, I just get them to update the CNAME alias.

Valued Contributor

That sounds like a better way than what we're doing working around the problem, but I still wonder if this is the way Trim should behave.

Respected Contributor

Hello,

It's TRIMAutodeploy.exe if you have your HKCU\TOWER Software\ keys it does a convert to push that to your TRIM 7 keys, delete the tower software hive and you should be sweet.

Phil

Valued Contributor

I don't have a Tower Software registry key.  Trim 6 used to run Trimautodeploy all the time, but I don't remember seeing it in Trim 7.  That change is why there are various limitations in Trim 7, such as the Trim shortcut not being populated into each user's Send To context menu when they log in.

Respected Contributor

No, TRIMAutodeploy.exe still exisits, its under the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\TRIMAutodeploy

with a key of "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\TRIMAutoDeploy.exe" /MINIMIZED 

The Minimized is why you dont see it, it needs to run as it builds your folder structures for Application data etc etc. but it will also copy the TOWER Software Hive to your Hewlett-Packard Hive.

Now what your saying is that the old workgroup servers are being placed back under your Helwett-Packard hive so I would check under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\MSISettings

the info is correct, Under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TOWER Software (Doesn't Exisit)

and

Under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\Datasets

the old workgroup servers aint listsed in there.

Now if you check all that and your still getting the old workgroup servers, I suggest you make sure your not populating it from your logon script by accident.

Phil

Valued Contributor

Since TRIMAutodeploy is still used by Trim, there's no good excuse for the ability for Trim to populate the Send To context menu to be broken.  As mentioned, our logon script is modifying the appropriate key in HKLM.  The problem only occurs when Trim performs a repair installation.  It just seems to me that software like this shouldn't remove the user's settings at the drop of a hat like that.

Honored Contributor

Auto-repair is a built in part of the Windows Installer process. Unfortunately there's no real way to prevent it. The repair process will run if a core registry key is deleted, files are removed, or otherwise the installed application is missing something it thinks should be there.

Have you figured out why TRIM is repairing itself? It shouldn't really be doing that.
Valued Contributor

It's hard to say.  A completely unrelated program getting installed can trigger Trim to repair itself if there are system files in common.  I don't beleive It is normal for a repair installation to modify the logged on user's registry hive, I would expect it would reset everything in the HKLM hive.  Since it's modifying HKCU, it's probably not a repair installation but a user-level "configure" type installation that normally only runs on the user's first launch of the software.

Honored Contributor

Yeah that's not fun! Doing what Rich_Kid outlined is probably your best bet going forward.
Valued Contributor

This doesn't sound like something that's covered in Trim's documentation.  What does HP officially recommend?  A hacky solution like registry or DNS modifications, or do they want a new installation to be pushed to the clients before the server gets upgraded, and then again after the server gets upgraded?

Honored Contributor

I can't speak for HP, but the documentation [used to] state that you should upgrade all of the clients first. Personally I've always done it over a weekend. Your client roll-out should include the names of the new servers you want them to connect to. That way an repair would use the new names.
Valued Contributor

On our end, we usually push out the new client first so we can make sure everybody's ready to go, and then we upgrade the server.  Trim's behavior has made this more complicated though.  Deploying a new administrative installation on the same weekend as the server upgrade is a bit problematic because computer group policy can delay that installation until one extra reboot.  This would result in the user booting their computer up Monday morning and then calling the helpdesk to say that it won't let them into Trim.