Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem with documents not being quarantined in TRIM 6.2.5

Esteemed Contributor

Problem with documents not being quarantined in TRIM 6.2.5

I was hoping some others could test this and confirm whether or not we have an issue with our DCI and TRIM 6.2.5.

In our TRIM 6.2.2 production environment, we have DCI setup and working well. As would be expected when the content indexer comes across a document that it can’t read the contents of, it sends an alert and places that document into the quarantined list. Take for example a password protected word document.

I believe this is all working as expected.

The issue is that in my 6.2.5.1322 test environment, when the indexer attempts to content index the same document, which it should place into quarantine, it doesn't. There is no alert generated and the document is not added to the list of quarantined documents. 

At this stage have haven’t seen any negative affects of documents not being added to the quarantined list and the indexer appears to be running correctly and indexing other documents without issue.

What could be going on here?

Cheers

Josh

6 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: Problem with documents not being quarantined in TRIM 6.2.5

Hi Joshua,

I can confirm from my testing it's not a problem with your environment; rather a change that's been made in 6.2.5. I'll try and find out whether this was an intentional change or if something's been missed. I know there were a significant number of changes to DCI in 6.2.5 to fix issues such as too many documents being added to the quarantine list, e.g. when the DCI process crashed. Perhaps it's caused by a change to the way ISYS 9 handles such exceptions.

Personally I'm not sure a password protected Word document should be added to the quarantine list? It was always my understanding that documents were quarantined if they would otherwise have caused the DCI process to crash. This is so if you ever do a reindex, TRIM doesn't try to index a problem document again. It's a normal part of the indexing process to first determine if a document is indexable, and ignore it and continue if it isn't. In the case of a password protected Word document, which is readily identified by ISYS as non-indexable, perhaps it's perfectly OK to simply make an entry in the TRIM DCI log saying "The document XXXX is not recognised by the ISYS indexing engine."

Happy to hear any community opinions on whether these should be quarantined or not.

Neil

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Neil

I should clarify that it is not just password protected documents but all usually unreadable documents that are no longer being quarantined.

Josh

HPE Expert

Yeah maybe it was intentional. We'll see what the developers come back with...

Neil

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Expert

Hi Joshua,

I’ve had confirmation from the developers about this. The automatic DCI quarantining process was removed from 6.2.5 because of the complexities involved with identifying, and differentiating between, those documents that needed quarantining (those that would crash the indexing process) and those that could be handled perfectly well (e.g. password protected documents), and consequently the ability to reliably quarantine only the problem ones. There were also many cases where an error state with the DCI caused all subsequently processed documents to be incorrectly quarantined.

HP will be evaluating whether to reintroduce automatic DCI quarantining in a future release of TRIM 7. Of course the manual quarantining option is still available.

Neil

Neil

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Neil

So long as there are no negative impacts from the DC indexer no longer quarantining, that sounds OK.

Josh

HPE Expert

They seem to have tightened up the error handling so problem documents are logged as such, and ignored, so the indexing can continue. I guess we'll have to wait and see how successful that proves to be.

Neil

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event