Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

RM8.3 - Extending Action Duration

Advisor

RM8.3 - Extending Action Duration

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

We recently upgraded our TRIM to RM8.3 and I am having some issues with setting user permissions.

Does anyone know what level of access we need to give staff in order for them to be able to modify the due date of an action that is assigned to them?

Our investigations have determined that a user has to have the "Records Manager" profile to achieve this but it just doesnt seem right to give someone all those rights just to change the due date of an action they are assigned to.

It appears that a user has to have the "Action Administrator" rights assigned to them in order to modify a due date.  I thought that "reshedule" might do it or even "modify workflow' rights might do it but it appears its 'action adminstrator' only that allows this very basic and very vital functionality for our end users.

I am hoping that i am missing something, some checkbox somewhere, that will aloow this functionality for at minimum knowledge workers.  Has anyone come up with another way to allow an action assignee to extend their own duration?

(please dont tell me I have to make everyone a "Records Manager" and then go and untag rights I dont want them to have for 700 users)

cheers

Paul White

8 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: RM8.3 - Extending Action Duration

Hi Paul,

You can give the users "Reschedule actions" and that will allow them to change the duration.

You can find the user permissions in System options > permissions

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Advisor

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the response but alas the solution does not work for us.  We have the "reschedule actions" permission allocated to staff and they still cannot extend the duration of an action, please see attachment for user prmisions allocated.

From the help manual i am thinking that reschedule actions will automatically reschedule actions in certain circumstances.

Is there something I could be doing wrong in that it requires a tick somewhere else to allow this functionality.  Again I just can't believe that it would require us to give everyone Records Manager access to enable to simple functionality.

Cheers

Paul White

HPE Expert

Try giving action administration as well and see if that makes a difference.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Advisor

Hi Greg,

Yes giving people the Action Adminstration function will fix the problem but it then means i have to give all our users Records Manager level permissions just so they can undertake the basic task of extending their own action durations.  For my mind this functionality should be available to those users that have Reschedule Action permissions.

Is there any way that it achievable to allow staff to amend durations without giving them such a high level user profile such as "Records Manager"?

cheers

Paul White

HPE Expert

So i think that the reschedule will only allow a new date to be selected rather than modifying the action - hence the admin role being required.

Rather than giving the user records manager, you should be able to make them a custom user based off the user type they already have but with the action admin role added.

Advisor

Hi Greg,

"Rather than giving the user records manager, you should be able to make them a custom user based off the user type they already have but with the action admin role added."

With RM8.3 is it not the case that we can only take away permissions from a user profile and we cannot add roles to a user profile......as such a user would have to be records Manager and then take away the permissions you dont want them to have but a "Records Coordinator" profile cannot be given access to a role that is not available in the profile?

I hope I am wrong ......... could you tell me how i could give the Actions Adminstration role to someone with "records Coordintor" profile and as such create this customer user?

I apprciate the assistance you are providing on this matter.

Cheers

Paul WHite

HPE Expert

Sorry Paul you are correct, you'll need to change a location to records manager, then remove the unwanted permissions.

Might take a little bit of configuring, however once done you can then use that location has a template and select "use profile of" in the subsequent locations.

Advisor

Hi Greg,

Thanks for all you help on this one.

Is there any chance that HPE will consider reviewing the "Reschedule Action" permission so that it will allow users to change the duration of an action and therefore not have to grant "Records manager" permissions to achive this functionality?

cheers

Paul White

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event