Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Record Checked Out behaviour

Advisor

Record Checked Out behaviour

Hi there,

We will be upgrading from 6.24 to 7.2 in the next week. I've asked users to check back in their documents into TRIM before we migrate the data. We will also be getting new computers (from XP to Windows 7).

I've been notified by users that they discovered documents that are currently checked out to employees who are long gone from the office and that were checked out years ago - 2007 on onwards.

If these documents are not checked back into TRIM before we migrate the data and get new computers, will they disappear and be lost completely or will the record still remain in TRIM and the revisions the user made just not be saved? I'm a bit confused as to the definition of checked-out.

Also, is there a way to search for all documents currently checked out of TRIM by all users?

Thank you,

8 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Record Checked Out behaviour

If a document is checked out to a user who is no longer around then an administrator must check it in for them. Since the user isn't around, any modifications they had made would be lost. That's why it's good to include a search for checked out records as part of an off-boarding process when someone leaves.

To search for checked out to anyone just clear out the location field when picking that method.
Advisor

Thanks very much! That search tip is really helpful.

If a document is not checked in and we migrate the data to a new server and replace users computer, will the records still exist in TRIM? Will they just continue to appear as checked out?

Thanks again,

Honored Contributor

You're welcome! I believe you will be prevented from upgrading the scheme if there are documents checked out. Even if you're not actively prevented, you should check-in all documents. It is listed as a required step and should be done. It's not uncommon to have this happen.
Advisor

Thanks again, just one last thing could you define 'scheme' for me?

What's interesting is that some of these documents were checked out ages ago and survived past upgrades and migrations to new server but still remain in TRIM and still remain checked out.

But you are right, they need to be checked in.

Thanks!

Frequent Advisor

He means "schema upgrade".

I've never been prevented from upgrading the schema with documents checked out.

The big risk with upgrading with checked out documents is that client side settings changes (deliberate or otherwise) can cause changes to checked out documents to disappear from the client side.

HPE Expert

Checked out documents wouldn't prevent a schema upgrade. It's always been recommended best practice (though often not all that possible) to have all users check in their checked out documents before any significant upgrade. This is mainly to avoid the situation where the path to offline records changes during the upgrade (accidentally or otherwise) and TRIM can't find a user's offline records after the upgrade because it's looking in the wrong place. It's all about trying to minimise pain.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Trusted Contributor

Just an additional note:

We asked all our users to check in their documents prior to the upgrade (6.2 to 7.2) - we forced lots in also - they, of course, didn't.

Everything seemed to work ok though. :-)

However, we had lots of users with lots (and lots and lots) of documents in their offline records.

At the time we didn't think much of this and rather hoped they would get cleaned up in the upgrade. They didn't. :-(

Since then we have noticed TRIM getting slower and slower for our users - particularly when opening documents. The cause? It appears to be offline records. An empty offline records sees things running quite smoothly.

So, a tip, find a way to not just have been check in their documents but also clean up offline records.

Ciao

Super Advisor

Just a note on this.. Even though the documents may be checked out over an upgrade and if the client settings do change the offline record location.. The documents can still be checked back in by an administrator..

The documents are checked in from the document store not the client side offline records..

When doing this though any changes that the user made will be lost.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event