Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Record Numbers in e-mail headers

Contributor

Record Numbers in e-mail headers

I would like to know if there is a way to have the record number & container (from the record’s metadata) embedded into the header of a printed email when printed from TRIM.

I don’t seem to be able to find anyway this can performed with the current TRIM functionality. We are on 6.2.1

Thanks

Alby 

14 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Record Numbers in e-mail headers

This isn't possible with the current built-in behaviour of TRIM.

Though if you have your original email that you catalogued still in Outlook, you can add the 'Record Number' column to the email and when printed from Outlook it will have the Record Number too.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Contributor

Whilst I know that the Record Number can be added to the columns in Outlook, and displayed when printed, I am really trying to encourage my users to select the “Delete messages when catalogued in TRIM” option so that the message is removed from their inbox. The inability to have metadata information displayed on printed electronic documents means having to rely on manual document numbering methods, such as stamps, and stickers and the like. Hardly 21st century stuff.  Would their be any value (or point) requesting some kind of enhancement

Honored Contributor

I think the enhancement has already been raised.

Yep, CRID 36986.

Under consideration but no action at this stage.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Advisor

Am unsure how or why but noticed some time ago that when an email that has been saved to TRIM (therefore has the TRIM colon in the subject line) is printed from Outlook a field called TRIM Record Number is added under the subject line on the hardcopy. However, when opening the same email from TRIM and printing it, the field does not appear. Hope this helps.

We are running 6.2.0

Honored Contributor

Yep, that's correct Ian. The copy stored in TRIM is un-altered, so it doesn't contain the TRIM Record Number.

The copy still in Outlook has been changed (to show that it was already catalogued) and therefor has the TRIM details embedded.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Frequent Advisor

Grundy wrote:

This isn't possible with the current built-in behaviour of TRIM.

Though if you have your original email that you catalogued still in Outlook, you can add the 'Record Number' column to the email and when printed from Outlook it will have the Record Number too.

Hi Grundy

Can you explain how we get this to occur.  We had it working before our upgrade but now it is not.

Honored Contributor

In Outlook, you should be able to add a TRIM Record Number column to the email list view.

For Outlook 2007 using the 6.2.4 add-in, I used to go:

- Right-click email list column header (where it says 'Arranged by: Date' 'Newest on top' etc)

- Click Custom

- Click Fields

- Change the 'Select available fields from:' drop donw box to 'User-defined fields in Inbox'

- 'TRIM Record Number' should be an available field to add.

EDIT:

In 6.2.5 (New Outlook add-in), there are actually a few extra field options.

'TRIM Dataset'

'TRIM Record Number'   and

'TRIM Record URI'

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Frequent Advisor

Is there a way to make the TRIM Record Number field print on emails that have been catalogued.  In the message header.

Honored Contributor

Do you mean the emails stored in TRIM or the emails that remain in Outlook?

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Frequent Advisor

We used to be able to open Outlook

The open an email that has been catalogued into TRIM

Then go File-Print-Print Preview

And the TRIM record number would be printed along with the email in memo style as shown in attachment.

Now there is no TRIM Record Number.  And whilst I have tried your steps above and they work for adding a field in the email list they do not add the field when printing.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I've had a good look at this now in various Outlook and TRIM versions and I can't see how you would have been able to print these emails with 'TRIM Record Number' in the header.

Are you able to find one of these old emails if they are still in your Outlook mailbox/pst and see if it prints with the record number? Like the example you attached?

Is it only newly catalogued emails since upgrading TRIM that have had this change in behaviour?

I think we may have originally altered the email header to contain the record number data, but now it looks like the data is stored against the email in another way and it isn't part of the 'header' anymore which is why it wont print.

There would be a good reason for R&D changing this.

Alternatively, did you print these emails with Outlook XP or 2000?  I tested in 2003 and 2007.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Frequent Advisor

Grundy wrote:

Yeah, I've had a good look at this now in various Outlook and TRIM versions and I can't see how you would have been able to print these emails with 'TRIM Record Number' in the header.

Are you able to find one of these old emails if they are still in your Outlook mailbox/pst and see if it prints with the record number? Like the example you attached? Yes the old trim catalogue emails still print record numbers on print preview

Is it only newly catalogued emails since upgrading TRIM that have had this change in behaviour? Yes

Alternatively, did you print these emails with Outlook XP or 2000? Nope this was Outlook 2007 before the upgrade and after

So it appears that the change in TRIM has meant that emails are not able to be printed in the Email Header.

Honored Contributor

I've loaded up a TRIM 6.1.X system.

Some strange behaviour...

Some emails with record numbers associated with them don't show the TRIM info in the header, where as some others do and I can print in memo style with the 3 TRIM data fields under the main header.

This is Outlook 2003, TRIM 6.1.7.

The emails that work (print the TRIM data) still don't have the data in the header.

If I quit, then re-enter Outlook, the other TRIM data (URI and Dataset) disappear when printing, but Record Number remains. (Some emails all the data remains intact)

If I pull out the MSG file from the 6.1.7 system where it's printing the TRIM data, and put the email into a 6.2.5 system. (Same Outlook version). I see the Record number from the other system in the columns, but when I print, I don't get the data.

This says that the TRIM Integration might have some affect on how emails are printed. (It has some affect/control over the print process)

But in the newer versions this does not occur.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au

It appears this functionality has been removed altogether from TRM 7.1.  Can anyone confirm this?