Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

System cannot find the file

Occasional Collector

System cannot find the file

Hi Guys,

Easy enough description for all of us to understand, though why this is happening...I have no idea.

Version: 6.2.3 build 1147

Error code directly from event viewer on main server.

Event Type:ErrorEvent Source:TRIMEvntEvent

Category:smileyvery-happy:evices Event ID:100

Date:19/05/2011Time:11:24:31 AM

User:N/A Computer:TRITON02

Description:[22734] Client Machine: TRITON02; Client User: srvc_TRIMContextWorkCannot read the file '\\TRITON02\x'. The system cannot find the file specified. (0x00000002).. This error message will not be displayed again today.

x = full path to file. 

Checking on the server, indeed! The file doesn't exist, though I will have a lot of files around it since been created however (This file ended in 3x5.pdf while 3x4 and 3x6 did exist) other file names will exist except for the one reported as 'cannot be found'

Users are reporting, 'yes the file is uploaded correctly and I can view it!' 

EG:

User uploads at 11:00am

User opens document *around* 11:38am 

User attempts to open 16:00 and the error is presented on their screen of 'File cannot be found'

I have noticed that timelines given to us from users don't match up with error logs in event viewer. As the one above shows, the user is stating they have "viewed" the document at a time later then when the first occurrence of the error for that particular error occurs. (TRIM Client switching to offline perhaps? Thus the user won't see the issue until later?)

At this stage, we have attempted to have the users give us a accurate timeline, (not going to happen...) as the error is intermittently.

Items checked: 

Backups - While we run daily backups, none of them run during business hours due to client request, so they never get a chance to backup the files going missing.

Deleted files (server only) - We don't see anything deleted.

Network connectivity - We are running over a WAN, however no network outages have occurred and it isn't a small link.

Server load: Basically nothing.

SQL2005 - No problems we can find here either.

Any hints on what this could be would be appreciated greatly! 

Cheers

Adrian

(Any more info required, let me know, I'll be keeping a eye on forum just incase someone does have a idea!)

3 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: System cannot find the file

Ade wrote:

Users are reporting, 'yes the file is uploaded correctly and I can view it!' 

EG:

User uploads at 11:00am

User opens document *around* 11:38am 

User attempts to open 16:00 and the error is presented on their screen of 'File cannot be found'

This scenario that I've quoted is most likely the client cache holding a copy of the document.

If User A created the document/record and then that same user opens that record again later, it should use a local cached copy.

If it fails later, 4pm in your example, the user probably opened a bunch of other documents and pushed the original out of cache.

This forces the client to go to the Workgroup server / Store to get the document and since it wasn't in the store, the error occurred.

Now, the reason it wasn't in the store?

The first place to check is on the Workgroup Server that this user was connected to at the time of creation.

Check the TRIMContext/ServerData/Pending directory for any documents that have made it to the WG server, but havn't been transferred to the document store yet. (There shouldn't really be any delay moving the file to the store unless there's another error)

You should find out how the user created this document, how they registered it into TRIM and if there is any pattern to this error.

Lastly, do you use multiple Workgroup Servers?

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

Kapish.com.au
Occasional Collector

Hi Grundy,

Currently we have 7 WG servers. 

The issues do seem to be only for users using the main two servers at our HO. So our other 5 regional WG servers are yet to experience this particular incident at all (then again, loads on them is next to 0) 

I will start collecting the information you mentioned below and see if I can find out what is happening. Will advise what happens / I find out either way.

Cheers

Valued Contributor

I run an integrity check on the document store every week, because every once in a while, a file will simply just be missing from the document store, with no indication of what happened to it.  We don't have NTFS auditing running on it because it's not been a bad enough problem, I'm usually able to search Trim's audit logs to see who viewed the document most recently and find a copy of the missing files in their local document store cache.  We've checked our antivirus logging before, and it wasn't found to be the culprit.  I believe that was the only suggestion Trim support had for me previously.  At this point, I figure it could be an obscure client/server bug that will be lessened when we are eventually able to migrate to Trim 7.