Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

TRIM 7.0 Queries...

Occasional Advisor

TRIM 7.0 Queries...

Hi,

1) When creating a new record type there are options like Behavior and Container Level

There are some default behavior's available shown in dropdown, can we create custom behavior ? how ?

Container levels are from 0 - 9, what each of these level meant for ? how it differs ?

2) Can we have multiple Databases on the same server ? In that case how the connection will work ? Is that based on Dataset.. like for different DB's different Datasets will be created.. But how my client will understand which dataset to be used, through program ?

3) I also observed that when with single server, if i create a DB object of Database class, it does not ask for credential, it takes it automatically. How to work with diffrent credentials, when working with API's ?

4) For different alerts, like for record modified or deleted it will send an email to the respective person, is there any way, that i will just check for the details through program, rather than sending emails ?

5) What actually document queues used for ? Is it just to process the different request in a queue ? like while sending email to multiple recipents it will put all the requests in queue and once all the request will be processed the queue will be cleared. Is this the only significance of the document queue ?

6) When we are fetching any record / document from DB, how it is returned by Trim, like a stream or byte array etc. ?

7) when we creating a new version of a document is it created as a seperate document and added to TRIM DB ? or just the changes are maintained at some secured location ?

4 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: TRIM 7.0 Queries...

Hi TRIMPSL,

Not that I don't want to answer your questions, but it sounds like it may be very beneficial to you if you:

a) Go through the TRIM's Help File for both TRIM and the SDK;

b) Attend a TRIM System Administrator's course;

c) Contact your HP TRIM Partner to see if they can do some "one on one" with you.

Here's some quick answers to your questions though:

1) You cannot create custom behaviors.  The Container Levels, with the "9" being the highest, are systematically assigned based on an organization's need for "containers".  A record type with a higher level than another record type could potentially "contain" the other record type's record.  For example, Record Type 1 has a container level of "5"; and Record Type 2 has a container level of "4".  Record Type 1 CAN "contain" a record from Record Type 2 (think Folder  and  Documents).  But IF Record Type 1 had a level of "4" and Record Type 2 had a level of "5", then Record Type 1 CANNOT contain a record from Record Type 2.

2) Yes, you could have multiple datasets, however, normally the TRIM License you have only allows for ONE production dataset.  A lot of organizations do have multiple datasets, however they are typically a Development dataset, a Test dataset, and a Production dataset.  In the bottom right hand corner of the TRIM GUI, a user can see which dataset they are connected too.  In addition, a message box can be set to popup when a user starts TRIM to notify them which dataset they have connected too.

3) The connection to the DB typically uses the DBA's credentials when the dataset is registered in TRIM.  In addition, there is a "special" user in TRIM usually named TRIMServices, that's also used.  I'm not real experienced with the SDK so I can't help out much here.

4) Yes, you can perform searches based on values like "Date Modified" .  For records that have been deleted, you would have to peruse the offline audit log - OR if you mean when a document was deleted/removed from a record, you'd perform a search in the online audit log using the value of "Document Removed".

5) Document queues allow for "processing" of electronic files from a designated windows folder, to place them into TRIM, either one at a time, multiple ones (tagged), or if set to automatic processing and if the record type supports it, then any document placed into the windows folder would automatically be placed into TRIM.

6) Can't answer this one.

7) When creating a new VERSION, a new record will be created in TRIM.  When creating a REVISION, the existing record will be updated.

Honored Contributor

You should think about attending an HP TRIM Administrator training course.

Answers to your questions:

1)  You cannot create custom behaviors.  Container levels are used to restrict containment options (ie, Folder is a 4 and can container 3,2,1; Document is a 2 and can container 1, but not four).  

2) Yes.  A dataset is defined as a TRIM database, document store, and set of configuration settings.  Users don't typically connect to more than one, but if needed they can do so by clicking File->Open Dataset.  The current dataset is also written in the bottom-right of the TRIM application.

3) TRIM uses the default credentials from your workstation.  If using the SDK you specify an alternate.

4) No sure I understand.  If you don't want to receive alert emails then you'll have to run the searches yourself or scan the audit logs.

5) Document queues are used to automate the receipt of documents.  Most often this will be implemented by giving a user a folder on their desktop that is linked to a document queue.  When they save into that folder the TRIM Queue processor will engage.  The results of that engagement depend on the settings.  Look at the TRIM help files for more information.

6) TRIM returns records as a record object.  You can use a method of that option to download the document (either through a stream or automatic save to disk drive).

7) If you create a new version in TRIM it becomes a new record.

Cheers,

Erik

Honored Contributor

LOL Eric...

SNAP!   :smileyvery-happy:

Occasional Advisor

Thanks TRIMGuru, Erik...:smileyhappy:

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event