Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

TRIM 7.1.1 Build 1821 - Command line install creates Program group called "HP TRIMHP TRIM"!!

Frequent Advisor

TRIM 7.1.1 Build 1821 - Command line install creates Program group called "HP TRIMHP TRIM"!!

TRIM 7.1.1 Build 1821

Windows XP SP3

While beginning to package this version of TRIM in preparation for a rollout, I discovered that when installing TRIM from a command line with application, client and integration parameters (as documented in the manual), I end up with a Program group called "HP TRIMHP TRIM".  Within that program group are the usual TRIM shortcuts. 

In the manual, there is no reference to the parameter STARTMENU_NAME like there is in the TRIM 7.1 Build 1150 manual.  I tried it anyway, but it didn't make any difference. 

If I double click on the MSI directly and follow the setup wizard, it is OK, but not if I install from a command line with additional parameters. 

Seems like a bug.  Has anyone else experienced this as well?

15 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: TRIM 7.1.1 Build 1821 - Command line install creates Program group called "HP TRIMHP TRIM&q

There was a problem with this in 7.1.0 or 7.0.2 and it was fixed up, but they must have missed this scenario too.

I'll ask the guys, but might be best if you log a support case for it.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Honored Contributor

Re: TRIM 7.1.1 Build 1821 - Command line install creates Program group called "HP TRIMHP TRIM&a

Having trouble replicating.

Are you able to send through the batch file you are using?

(Just copy paste the text)

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Frequent Advisor

Re: TRIM 7.1.1 Build 1821 - Command line install creates Program group called "HP TRIMHP TRIM&a

[ Edited ]

vbruntimes_x86.msi /qb
vs2008runtimes_x86.msi /qb
hptrim_x86.msi /qb ADDLOCAL=HPTRIM,Client,StandardData WGS1="[removed for privacy]" WINDOMAIN="1" DEFAULTDBNAME="[removed for privacy]" DEFAULTDB="[removed for privacy]" PORTNO="1137" LANG="EN" ALLUSERS="1" TRIM_DSK=1 EMAIL="TIO" ODMA="TRIM" TRIMREF="TRIM" USER_LEX_FOLDER="[removed for privacy]" OFFLINE_DATA_FOLDER="[removed for privacy]" ODMALOCAL=1 EXCEL_ON="1" PROJECT_ON="1" POWERPOINT_ON="1" WORD_ON="1"

Honored Contributor

Thanks! We'll test this out.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Honored Contributor

We can't replicate.

Works fine for us still.

Are you running the batch against a custom MSI as required in the Install doco?

Have you altered the start menu path in the custom MSI in any way?

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Frequent Advisor

Hmm.. OK..that's very interesting.

In response to your questions, no - no custom MSI/MST. Just running the straight MSI exactly as supplied, and no alteration to the start menu path in any way.

I will do some more testing on my end, but it's definitely happening when executing hptrim_x86.msi with those parameters as shown above and replicable on both of my test machines, performed on a fresh Windows XP image and I see "HP TRIMHP TRIM" appear during installation.

I've kinda catered for it for now anyway...by renaming the folder name back to "HP TRIM" immediately afterwards in the batch file! Hahaha.
Honored Contributor

Yeah, we saw an issue where it didn't create the HP TRIM folder at all (just put icons into the Programs list) when running the batch against the stock MSI.

The doco states to run it against a custom MSI though and when we do this, it works. :)

Try customing the MSI first by running msiexec /a HPTRIM.msi

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are they going to fix it so that the stock MSI works normally when installed with command line parameters?  It seems like there's at least a half dozen Trim 7 releases where the workaround of using an admin install was necessary to install this way.

Frequent Advisor

OK, I have re-tested this in greater detail...

Firstly running an adminstrative installation to create a custom MSI does indeed create the "HP TRIM" program group in the Windows start menu correctly.

However, simply running the STOCK MSI from the command line and specifying the same parameters on the command line to install TRIM from a batch file does NOT create the program group correctly in this release. It ends up as "HP TRIMHP TRIM". Not a showstopper, just an observation.

It sounds like raynebc knows what I am talking about. :)
Honored Contributor

Considering the doco states that a custom MSI must be used, I think this is intended behaviour, not a bug.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Valued Contributor

To me, it seems more likely that they couldn't or didn't want to fix it, so they left it as-is.  Leaving it programmed in a way where the installer could malfunction is a bad practice.  They could easily have a condition in the installer that checks if there are command line parameters and then explicitly give the user a failure notice if it isn't a customized administrative installation.  It would ideally also write to the event log, so the user would know what was up if he/she tried to install with a "silent" or equivalent switch.

Honored Contributor

Or users could read the doco.

There's only so much human 'behaviour' you can code around.

Sometimes the time benefit to program it .vs documentation is not worth it for R&D when they've got bigger items to work on.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Valued Contributor

I'm getting ready to put together a script to install this version of Trim, but I'm having a hard time understanding the benefit of having command line parameters that do not work unless you already created an administrative installation, since most/all of those settings will have been specified during the creation of the admin install.  Do the command line parameters override the settings in the administrative installation?  If there's no point to using both install methods, does it just make more sense to use the admin install to provide all settings?

Honored Contributor

Yeah, you could just use the customised admin install and deploy silently via group policy.

Some sites would prefer a script/batch file hence that still being an option, but you're correct, it is double-handling the file a bit.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Valued Contributor

So it's unknown whether the command line parameters override the settings in the admin install?  Looks like I'll just drop the idea of using the command line options.  It's needlessly redundant to have to use one method in order to use the other when they are both supposed to accomplish the same thing.  I hope HP improves this some day.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event