Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

TRIM 7.1 desktop client authentication

Occasional Contributor

TRIM 7.1 desktop client authentication

Is it possible to use TRIM 7.1 desktop client to access TRIM server components installed in a different domain?

For example: I have logged into domain A in my PC - and now if I want to access the TRIM deployed in domain B, is it possible to configure the TRIM desktop client to prompt me for login credentials to authenticate for TRIM installation in domain B?

Regards, Chandra

8 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: TRIM 7.1 desktop client authentication

Have you tried using "run as" to launch Trim Desktop with the credentials of an account from domain B?  You can manually specify another domain's account by prefixing the account name by the domain name and a backslash, ie DOMAIN_NAME\USERNAME.

Respected Contributor

The Answer to your exact question is no, because you can't became an authenticated users.  The way to set up TRIM across Multiply domains is to have Multiply Workgroup servers, using the same surname and password for the TRIMServices account with in both domain.

Alternatively look at placing a Web Client within Domain A that you can hit from domain B and force authentication.

Or if you really want to, you could create a surname and password of the account you wish to login as on both sides of the domain e.g.. domainA/user1 , domainB/user1 - Password's identical. This would take a lot of time if you had a lot of users to create, easier to just have 1 services account and a wg server on both sides. .

Phil

Honored Contributor

Yep, as Phil said, no.

In an AD environment, the TRIM client needs to authenticate with the Workgroup Server using the AD credentials.

Since it's a different domain, the authentication will fail.

To use a single TRIM implementation across multiple domains, you need to install a Workgroup Server in each domain, so that users authenticate their own credentials against the correct AD server/domain.

The Workgroup Server can then be configured to use a SQL/Oracle account to connect to the database, instead of Windows Authentication, which solves the problem of cross-domain TRIM setups. :)

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is this unique to TRIM v7x?  I was able to set this up using TRIM 6x.....

Honored Contributor

What I posted has been the same ever since 6.2.0. (RCF)

5.2.X and 6.1.X used DCOM, which had a different method to allow cross-domain authentication.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Honored Contributor

Grundy wrote:

5.2.X and 6.1.X used DCOM, which had a different method to allow cross-domain authentication.

Grundy wrote:

You are once again correct!  I did set that up with DCOM...  My bad...

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all responses. I will try the option of creating account with identical user name and password in two domains. I don't have too many users to synchronize.

Frequent Advisor

But, how to manage those multiple accounts if one of the windows servers force password changes every 2 months?