Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

TRIM 7.x: Tower Registry Keys: Obsolete Clutter?

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Frequent Advisor

TRIM 7.x: Tower Registry Keys: Obsolete Clutter?

[ Edited ]

Attempting to troubleshoot Global Settings issues, etc, looking through the registry, I notice that we have Tower and HPTRIM settings. This not only clutters Group Policy distribution, however makes troubleshooting similar or duplicate keys less straight forward than it could be.

The uninstall process of 6.24 did not remove all keys cleanly, and then they persisted through the subsequent upgrades.

I know at TRIM 6.24, the Tower keys were still in play, however my understanding is that from TRIM 7+, all Tower keys are obsolete. From comparisons I've done, and through conversations in the upgrade process, I understand that they're sitting there doing nothing.  

Does anyone know this for certain?

3 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: TRIM 7.x: Tower Registry Keys: Obsolete Clutter?

The Tower keys are left behind mostly in the current user portion of the registry. Typically uninstall/install is done under a different accout, so removing the keys from users registries isn't really something important to tackle. They can also be useful when trying to migrate settings. Some upgrade toolkit will leverage those keys to rebuild outlook linked folders as part of the upgrade.

If you don't like them being there you can remove them via a login script. Though it's not really important to do so.

You'll see the same issue when going to RM8 because it's yet another name in the registry.
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for clarifying this. It makes sense.

In this case the registry keys are more broadly distributed, possibly due to Group Policy over-writes. 

So it's safe to say that all Tower keys are no longer utilised in TRIM7+?

Honored Contributor

Yeah you can delete them all.