Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

TRIM unknown locations

TRIM unknown locations

Hi, I would like to ask you what is the best way of controlling TRIM unknown locations created via Author field from MS Outlook emails. We have over 13000 locations and the company TRIM users should include just over 100 employees.

I would appreciate helping me with answering some of the following questions:

> should uknown locations be deleted and can be deleted (preferably in bulk) or replaced?

> if they need to be replaced how to do this the quickest way and what to replace with?

> should they be controlled and what are the threats if they are being created every day?

> how to prevent them to be created?

The solution needs to be implemented with no costs what-so-ever as the system might be only in use till June (before a major change management).

Thanx

Magda

6 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: TRIM unknown locations

Hi Magda,

There are a few different ways to deal with Unknown locations within TRIM. Here are some things that I would look at.

1. Check the setting within the System Option under the “Record” tab. There is an option under When Creating Records from email messages to “Convert all Recipients to Contacts for the Record”. If ticked, this option can be responsible for the creation of a large number of Unknown locations when cataloguing emails into TRIM.
  2. For your internal users that have an unknown location, I would work on Delete/Replace with the known Internal user, ensuring that when replacing tick the box for “If the Location has any Email Addresses:” this will prevent Unknown locations being created based on unknown email addresses.
  3. Also, for internal uses, once you have completed the cleansing above, look at internal users that have no email address or only have a web email address. Email systems like Outlook will often send an Exchange email address that is different to the Web email address. Talk to your IT staff about what the settings are for this and in the TRIM location, under the Electronic Address Tab right click and select Email Address and then select the email system your organisation uses.
  4. With the remainder of your Unknown addresses you should match these to existing External locations if they exist or change the type to reflect the correct location type.

All of the above is time consuming and unfortunately there is no quick fix for the volume you are dealing with.

Note: TRIM can run very slowly when Deleting/Merging Locations and it is recommended that this work be undertaken outside of normal business hours.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your advices. I have checked that:

Advice No 1 (System Option under the “Record” tab was not ticked in our TRIM).

Advice No 2 (I cannot find the box for “If the Location has any Email Addresses”)

Advice No 3 (I have forwarded to IT dept)

Advice No 4 (if there are no existing external locations to merge locations to -  is it better to merge these unknown locations with the creator / assignee (existing internal location - our employee who checks the email into TRIM). The email TRIM records can be found under Title, etc (as we have a standard for titling records). This way we can diminish the number of locations (merging them to existing locations)

CORE QUESTIONS:

1. Is there any way to remove unknown locations (maybe from the backend)

2. How much the creation of new unknown locations for the next 7 months will be undermining the system and processing, etc (as we already coping with this problem for the last 3 or more years). As I mentioned before there will be change and system might be replaced in 7 months. Is it worth to fix it now?

I would like to add that our TRIM is TRIM Context 6.1.5 version.

Thanx for everything

Magda

HPE Expert

[ Edited ]

Hi Magda,

I believe the creation of unknown locations was an intentional decision when designing the e-mail integrations. It was to avoid requiring non-RM users to create a new location (with all its associated metadata) in TRIM each time they catalogue an e-mail from a new author. The consensus was that if they were burdened with this overhead it would discourage all but the most dedicated and conscientious users from bothering cataloguing e-mails into TRIM at all.

If the e-mail address of the author of the catalogued e-mail doesn't match the e-mail address of any existing location in TRIM, an unknown location is automatically created to allow the user to get on with whatever they were doing (and think "gee it's easy to catalogue e-mails into TRIM")

So part of every TRIM administration course that's been run for as long as I can remember (and that's a long time...) has been managing the unknown (aka 'ghost') locations on a regular basis to ensure you don't end up with a haunted locations table like yours. This involves modifying each unknown location to give it a person/position/organisation location type and any other relevant metadata, or merging the unknown location with the right one in the database. Unfortunately it sounds like you missed out on that training...

Often the duplicates are created because all the staff are initially entered into TRIM with their SMTP e-mail addresses (e.g.. terry.arki@myorg.com), but the e-mail address in the e-mail header is in an Exchange/GroupWise/Notes format (e.g.. o=Example/ou=USA/cn=Recipients/cn=tarki). I've also seen this problem compounded when IT rebuild their exchange server and everyone's Exchange e-mail addresses change.

There's really no simple way to remove the unknown locations from the database because they're linked to catalogued e-mails, hence their removal is prevented. I suggest you may want to log a support case (if you haven't already) because HP Support did get their hands on a utility recently that automates (to some extent) the merging of duplicate locations; however I don't know if it will make much difference in your situation.

(P.S. The utility I'm referring to was designed for TRIM 7.1 and has never been tested with 6.1...nor will it be tested for 6.1 by HP because 6.1 is officially no longer supported. It may work with your version of TRIM; it may not.)

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of TRIM/RM/CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/

Hi Neil

Thank you very much for your advice. I was reading your message a few times trying to comprehend the logics of that. I am not an IT professional, but IM expert (it looks like not so expert at all). However I would like to mention the following:

1. You were saying that “The consensus was that if they were burdened with this overhead it would discourage all but the most dedicated and conscientious users from bothering cataloguing e-mails into TRIM at all”

For my understanding TRIM designers should not create the system that way. The point is that TRIM user should be educated enough to recognize if the email is meaningful to become a record (TRIM record). The naming conventions should be put in place so the record is also easily found by Title and other specific UDF to this type of records (usually Record Type).

2. The unknown locations are really make the system untidy and unmanageable (for users) not to mention they undermining the system from technical side (like a gigantic locations table).  This is totally downside of TRIM.

3. In the present scenario I reckon that the best way to manage Author field while cataloguing emails is to instruct users to put their name (existing internal location) in the format that is in TRIM to avoid duplicates. In our instance (our company) we do not really need to create more locations. ie: external locations (of email senders) and the records can be found by search criteria, like Title, etc (I mentioned above)

4. Re your advice on our current situation: “This involves modifying each unknown location to give it a person/position/organisation location type and any other relevant metadata, or merging the unknown location with the right one in the database” I do not see any sense in modifying each unknown location to give it a person/position/organisation location type (it will be probably never used), but merging is much better, because it can diminish the number of locations (am I right?)

My dilemma is: is it worth to bother with modifying or merging unknown location if this problem was never solved (from 1997). For 14 years this problem was not properly addressed and caused creation of 13 000 locations, so will it do any more damage for the last 7 months of system usage (until change management)?

Thanx

Magda

HPE Expert

Hi Magda,

Yes I sympathise with your dilemma. I concur with Mark's earlier comment that they system option for creating a location for every contact on an e-mail is likely the cause of such a large number of unknown locations. It's something they've always discouraged TRIM administration course participants from enabling.

On the positive side, these unknown locations are normally hidden from general users anyway because their default location search filters exclude the unknowns. It's normally only TRIM administrators who are haunted by ghosts.

If I were in your shoes I'd be daunted by the size of the task of trying to clean up 13000 unknown locations that have been allowed to accumulate over a number of years. Personally if there's such uncertainty about whether TRIM will be used beyond June, I wouldn't waste a lot of time doing a cleanup. Another few months of unknown locations on top of many years worth isn't going to make a big difference to the system.

Perhaps when the change management review is conducted next year you could factor into the equation the cost of paying HP's Professional Services people or an experienced TRIM consultant from one of our business partners to help devise a way of tidying up all the unknown locations (assuming they decide to continue using TRIM). I'd also advise a general TRIM system health check - given the current situation with the locations table, I suspect there may be other things that can be improved in TRIM's configuration and ongoing management.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of TRIM/RM/CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/

Hi Neil. thank you very much for your very helpful assistance. I am focused at present on educating staff how to check in emails correctly (not creating ghost locations, but changing them for existing locations).

Best regards

Magda