Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Testing RM8.1 Permission changes ( Upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.4)

Valued Contributor

Testing RM8.1 Permission changes ( Upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.4)

Hi,

In my testing of RM8.1 I came to a Permission changes ( Upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.4)

It looks like a complex issue, meaning, huge changes from one system to the other.....

I exported Permissions for all User Types in HP TRIM 7.3.4, and RM8.1 into MS Excel and now I started to compare what has changed. E.g. For Information Manager / Records Manager, some privileges are unticked, or ticked.... so the upgrade will influence this; in HP TRIM information manager had 80 permissions tagged/ticked, and in RM8.1 Records manager have 39 tagged ... Information worker had 37, in RM8.1 it has 48..... etc...

Also, the main difference for Information Worker/ Records Co-Ordinator, the option "DELETE" record is not ticked ( meaning, users would not be able to delete Personal Document) ... Not sure what would happen when we tag that option.... anyway, who is going to check if everything is tagged in RM8.1 environment .. (Everyone would expect that tagged permissions would stay as per 7.3.4)

The major changes in our case is that Custom user type is gone, and we have in 7.3.4 a certain Profile (Custom one, with some admin privileges) for some enginering branch , and in my testing/development environment they all became Administrators????? 200 of them or so .... Cost issue here now and in future?

Ok, one question:  We do not allow our Information Workers to delete/remove revisions (as we are controling that from the Record type permissions) and in HP TRIM 7.3.4 there was no such permission under the User Type Information Worker as: Remove previous revisions or Remove renditions , and in RM8.1 there is ... So, which one has higher power..? The User or record type permissions...

There will be probably more questions on permissions, but the lunch time is apporaching...

Regards

7 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Testing RM8.1 Permission changes ( Upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.4)

You can still leverage the "Use Profile Of" feature.  So create a location that matches your functional requirements and set those users to use that other location's profile.  Although the custom user category is gone, you can still de-select permissions (thereby making it custom).  

As for the additional permissions, yes those are new.  Regardless of what's on the record type a user cannot perform a function they haven't been granted.  So if you de-select the "Remove previos revisions" permission then it's gone for all record types.  If it's selected, then the record type settings will be checked as the user interacts with the record.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am just saying that is going to be a huge task to check what else has been changed in regards to user type permissions.

Once we do upgrade, many users will be affected. My initial compare of HP TRIM 7.3.4 permissions and HP RM8.1 permissions for user types shows that lots of permissions are gone from one user type , and the other one shows the increased number of permissions (e.g. Information worker ( Records Co-Ordinator) ... As per my picture  below for Records Manager user type (Exported permissions into MS EXcel and then compared)

The blue coloured cells indicates permissions that Records Manager (ex Information manager) had and now in RM8.1 are gone. Brownish are confusing ....ignore the red one, they are OK)

Once I analyse all other user types, I will try to recreate the profile that our engineering branch is using in HP TRIM 7.3.4  (I will try not tu use Administrator privileges for 200 users) ....

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Eh I don't know what to say or what you're actually asking here.   The broad definitions of what the categories are inteded for do kind of make sense.  In my experience most users will be knowledge workers.  Decide, as the administrators (and with record coordinator input), which permissions those types of users should have.  Then set the defaults accordingly.

Seems like the route you're going through of doing a massive audit of all user's mixed settings just won't give you much benefit.  Treat this like an opportunity to bring those users in alignment with a standard set of permissions.

Valued Contributor

Thanks.

I like your comment: "Treat this like an opportunity to bring those users in alignment with a standard set of permissions." - but you do not know our users ... :-)

Anyway, we shall see at the end of testing....

Regards

These new user categories that are tied to the new licencing model are going to be challenging for a lot of organisations even if you are using the upgraded licence which can allow a user to be set to any category.

If you want your end users to have the "Modify Records" or "Reassign Action" permissions they have to be either a "Records Co-ordinator" or "Records Manager" which means that for a lot of organisations that give these permissions to the bulk of their users now need to be manage their users with 2 categories rather than the 5 customisable categories that were available previously where these permissions could have been applied.

Using the "Use Profile Of" feature and having template custom users with the exact permissions to try and have more granular control isn't practical for a lot of organisations because that feature also sets the security level and caveats of the user which could be different for 2 users of the same category.

Manually setting users to a higher category to get these required permissions (e.g. "Records Co-Ordinator") and then manually removing the permissions that are required for some users in that category but not others ("Document Delete", or "Process  Requests" for example) is risky and prone to human error and for any decent sized organisation would be time consuming as well.

I'd be interested in hearing how other people are managing this with RM 8.1

Honored Contributor

You would think that a Knowledge Worker could actually do some work (like renaming their own records, reassigning actions to others in their area, etc) but no such luck.  Those features are now in the Records Coordinator category.  Not really sure how that makes complete sense, but not much you can do.

The price point for the RC user license is lower than it was in the past, if you only have the base edition.  But then if you factor in the cost of the edition and volume, it comes out to about the same.

On the positive side.... everyone will now want to be a records coordinator.  Even just general staff.  Wonder if they'll get a raise to go along with the added responsibility!

Frequent Visitor

An alternative solution maybe?

On each Record Type on the Menu tab you can choose to "Allow users without 'Modify Records' permission to:

- append to Notes

- change Assignee

- change Title (Free Text Part)"