Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trim 7.1 installers don't prompt for UAC elevation

Valued Contributor

Trim 7.1 installers don't prompt for UAC elevation

I ran into this trying to install Trim 7.1 on a Windows 7 computer earlier today, and ended up having to open an elevated command prompt and running msiexec commands to install the VS and VB runtime prerequisites followed by the main Trim installer.  When I ran the installers without elevating them in this manner, it seemed as if the prerequisites would install, and the main Trim installer would allow me to configure the install options and would act as if the prerequisites were met, but then would fail part way through because it said one of the prerequisites were not found.

Does HP plan to alter the installation programs to prompt for UAC elevation?

4 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Trim 7.1 installers don't prompt for UAC elevation

In the TRIMInstall.pdf for v7.1, it does list this:

Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008
Follow these steps if you are installing HP TRIM on the above operating systems and are not
using Group Policy:
1 Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Accessories.
2 Right-click Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator.
3 Type msiexec.exe /i “<file path>\HPTRIM_xNN.msi” with the correct .msi file name and
press Enter
4 Continue the installation from Installation dialog boxes

I took that to mean also the additional installs to be run the same way.  Though I did find out that the VB runtimes weren't needed on a 64 bit install for the server.

Valued Contributor

My main point is that the installer can be improved to prompt for elevation, I just don't know if it's something the developers would be concerned about.  As far as I know, there is no 64 bit VB runtime for Trim 7.1, but there is a 32 bit one.

Honored Contributor

I totally agree with you...  was just pointing out that they did "tell us".... 

Trusted Contributor

Typically in a production environment TRIM, and its prerequisites, would not be installed on an individual bases but by an enterprise deployment tool like Group Policy. Group Policy runs the installer with elevated permissions so this will not be a problem. Considering the few times that TRIM is installed from the source media the instructions provided in the install guide is a reasonable approach to address the issue.