Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trim 7.1: query typed into search by data entry field disappears

Occasional Contributor

Trim 7.1: query typed into search by data entry field disappears

Hi there, we are running Trim 7.1.1.1828

When a user opens Trim, the Search By field defaults to the last used Search By function.

If its set to Record Number and the user types text into the data entry field thinking they are searching for Title Word (for example), when they realise and change the Search By option to Title Word, the data already entered disappears.

We would like the data to remain so the user doesn't have to retype the search query (which is very frustrating).

If anyone has any ideas on how we can set this, I'd love to know

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Frequent Advisor

Re: Trim 7.1: query typed into search by data entry field disappears

The data does remain (or it should anyway) but is stored agains each Search By field, e.g.:

* If you search by record Number then the fields on teh righthand side contain the last numbers used

* If you serched by Title then the field on teh right hand side contains the last title words used

The condition is that the user selects the right search field first and can then use arrow down to select previously used values.

If teh values are not retained for whatever reason I suggest you talk to IT and look at the deployment method and possible login and logoff scripts they use to ensure that the they don't delete these settinsg as part of the login process.

Hope this helps

InfocentriK Helpdesk
InfocentriK Limited
Occasional Advisor

Hi InfocentriK Helpdesk, thanks for your response but it didn't address my problem (or maybe I wasn't clear). We do get previous searches when clicking the drop down.

Often a user opens trim and types in a word or phrase to search for, not realising that the Search By field is on Record Number or some other field,

once they realise and change the Search By to a relevant search, Title Word (for example) the data entry field is cleared.

If Trim remembered the search phrase so the user could change the search by option then click Find (not having to retype the search phrase)  it would save a bit of time and frustration on behalf of the users.

Honored Contributor

This only happens in the quick search.  If you click Search->Find Records, the Find Records Icon, or press Ctrl-F, this does not happen in the Find Records Dialog.

Maybe submit an enhancement request?  There is no work-around.

HPE Expert

Hmm...pretty sure at one stage it was changed to behave like you're asking it to, but enough people complained so they changed it back. Will look into it and update here soon. If that's the case I doubt an enhancement request will get far.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
HPE Expert

OK the latest status is there's an open CR for this behaviour to be reviewed for a future release:

QCCR2D45720 In TRIM 7.1 and above , from the Find Records Pane on the top , when switch the Search By items, the content input in the Equal To field is not retained, but it is retained when it was TRIM 6.2.X

It looks to me like they're still to make a decision whether they want to change it back to the way it was in 6.2. THe jury's still out on whether this was an intentional change, and if so, why.

I've added a reference to this thread to the CR for the developers' information.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event