Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trim 7.x's order of audit events

Valued Contributor

Trim 7.x's order of audit events

Back in Trim 6.x, some of our Trim users had gotten used to using the client's audit logging to get a quick view of what happened last with their records, as the events were displayed from newest to oldest. However we're finding that in 7.1, the audit events are displayed from oldest to newest, and only the first ten or so. We can't find how to view the newer events in the client. Is there any way to configure Trim to display the events in reverse chronological order (newest to oldest) or have it display events after the first ten?
6 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Trim 7.x's order of audit events

While I agree that they are showing from the oldest to the newest, it's just a simple matter of clicking on the Event Date column to resort it based on that date.

BUT, in my v7.1 (with sql 2005, and win 7 on the client), I see more than 10 events, so I'm not sure why you aren't.  There's no "configuration" for it, it's just there.

Can you verify that there's, history wise, MORE than 10 events for the record?  e.g. do we know that in fact, in TRIM, there have been more than 10 actions that have been performed on a record?)

Valued Contributor

I hadn't even tried that, bringing up the entire historical audit log for a record (right click>details>active audit events) shows a ton of things.  The functionality that the users were curious about is the "audit events" field that can be added to the "view pane".  When you customize the view pane to add it, and click the "Click to display" button, it will list only the first ten entries of the active audit events log, compared side by side they are the same events with just some differences in the formatting used to display.  I can see that it would be preferable to have the quicker method of using the view pane, but it's no longer a shortcut if the order can't be controlled, and the next set of ten can't be displayed.

Honored Contributor

aha, ok, I see what you're saying now.  The behaviour on mine is the same way.  I suspect it's limited to 10 as when you issue a query, it has to "grab" all the data designated for the view (and list) pane and if it wasn't limited, I suspect the query could/might take a long time?  That's just a guess on my part.

But, why not just add a menu button for "Active Audit Events" ?  That way users can just click on the button to see ALL the Audit Events and also have the ability to sort them at will. It's the same amount of "clicks" so there's no extra "movements" than what they're doing now.

See the attachment.

Valued Contributor

The toolbar button could definitely help, but it's just one of those behavior changes from 6.x to 7.x that will irk end users that are used to using it a certain way.  I'll suggest that to them as something to try, but testing it out myself, I can already see that it doesn't keep my sort order (reverse chronological) after I close the historical events window.  This alone would make it less convenient than the behavior in Trim 6.x.  It's only a couple extra clicks, but those add up, especially for the people that work with records in Trim all day long.

Honored Contributor

Well it's NOT as bad as the Microsoft Office change for Office 2007 is it?  :smileywink:

Just curious, which v6.x were they on before?

Valued Contributor