Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trim hangs when previewing records

Valued Contributor

Trim hangs when previewing records

One user reports that when he allows Trim 6.2.3 to preview the electronic document for some records, Trim hangs and has to be terminated forcefully.  He has noted that the records that appear to be causing this are all within the same container record.  He is not aware of any other users having these problems with the records.  I have already repaired Trim on the user's computer, but to no avail.  What should I look for next?

23 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Trim hangs when previewing records

Which build in 6.2.3 are you using?  I remember there was an issue with using the preview tab in 6.2.3 circa build 1145.  The issue occured when there was a previous revision of the document available.  The issue forces you to kill the application.

Does this happen to all users or just one user?

Here's what the SPER report states as a fix in 1147:

33584 Previous Revision tab displays an error - the output file name for the retrieve operation was not supplied

Fixed. The 'Preview' tab in the record view pane now correctly shows the previous revision for a record if it is available.

Valued Contributor

We are already using build 1147, so it must be something else.  No other user has reported problems with these records.

Honored Contributor

Humour us and try unticking the 'Document Revision Extracted' Audit option on the Record Type properties for this record?

This 'freeze' was due to an endless loop in some audit code when previewing a revision...

- Grundy

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Honored Contributor

It's CRID 33833 Previous Revision tab causes an endless loop in the client

That was fixed in 6.2.4.1225

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
Valued Contributor

If you're talking about the previous revision preview, that's not really what we are having trouble with.  We're having the hang with the regular preview (current revision) tab.

Honored Contributor

Hmmmm, there was still another issue with the Preview tab around access controls too.

Are you able to try a 6.2.4 1240 client on that particular machine and test the issue again?

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Valued Contributor

The user doesn't need to use Trim anymore, as he has finished working with the documents in question.  So I haven't installed Trim 6.2.4 to see if the problem went away, but I can verify that removing the "Document Revision Extracted" did not correct the error.  Is there anything else to try to resolve this issue on 6.2.3?

Honored Contributor

What build of 6.2.3 are you using?

1137, 1145 or 1147?

Does the issue occur if the user opens the file with the normal TRIM Viewer instead of the Preview tab?

It could be the document itself causing problems?

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Valued Contributor

I did indicate we were using build 1147.  The problem was seen to occur even when the full Trim Viewer was used instead of the preview tab.  It's possible that it's the documents, but even so, Trim hanging until it is terminated is still a bug in Trim's programming.

Honored Contributor

Well not really.

If the document is corrupt and it's causing the viewer application to crash, I would still be blaming the document.

The same thing could happen with Word or Adobe viewer!

(Note: The viewer application is a third-party app, so we would need to work with them to diagnose why that document is causing a problem.)

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Valued Contributor

Well, a bug is a bug when all is said and done.  And a permanent hang is a bug, even if it's with third party software.  I had another person with the same build of Trim use the preview tab on one of the affected records and it did not hang his Trim client.  So we're back to it being a problem with Trim on this one user's computer.

Honored Contributor

Is it just me or do you seem rather terse on here?  

Valued Contributor

It's not my intention to seem rude, I'm just trying to communicate the issue.  My thoughts are that since other users cannot reproduce the hang, that it seems less likely to me to be a fault of the document.

Honored Contributor

Best thing to do here is send the document in to HP TRIM Support and they can determine if the document itself is the cause of the problem.

If not, I would suggest recreating the users Windows profile or reinstalling TRIM for that user.

Just the basics first, since as you said, the crash doesn't occur for another user with the same build. :smileyhappy:

Let us know how it goes?

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Valued Contributor

I wasn't able to correct the problem by creating a new user profile, so I'm attaching some documents that the users have indicated were particularly plagued by this hanging condition.  I'm not sure if it's Trim's handling of browser plugins, but that's possible, as I've reported a plugin handling bug or two before in regards to the preview.

I wasn't able to reproduce this on my work computer on Trim 6.24 or 7, but then again I have a different version of Office, so there may be too many differences.

Honored Contributor

I've tested each document in 6.2.4 1240.

Preview tab works fine for each document.

TRIM Viewer loads each document ok.

Word 2007 opens each document ok.

I havn't tested Word 2003, but the version of Office will have no effect on the Preview tab. The preview tab just uses the TRIM Viewer.

Since you weren't able to replicate in 6.2.4 either, I would recommend that you upgrade the clients.

6.2.5 just came out over the weekend as well, so you may want to look at a full upgrade to that version. :smileyhappy:

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Valued Contributor

I was able to reproduce this on one of our user's computers, running Trim 6.2.4 and Office 2003.  The only difference between her Trim configuration and mine that I can think of is that I might not have been using the "global" settings.

I have attached screen captures showing the hang and the content from the Help>About dialog.  Please let me know the next step, as we have found that it is not Windows profile related and seemingly not related to a bad install.  The typical install method for our organization is to deploy an administrative package (how the Trim 6.2.3 users get the software), but for the user with Trim 6.2.4, it was installed manually.

Honored Contributor

When the user opened the Word document, it shouldn't have opened in the TRIM Viewer since they have .DOC in the Viewer bypass list...

Can you try manually removing all the Office bypass formats, close/re-open TRIM and test again for that user?

Then re-add the bypass options?  (Possibly add .DOT as well)

I also noticed that user is running 6.2.4 1225.

This build was actually recalled and 1226 was released.

There was actually a problem with the viewer and other functions causing a freeze in that build:

In some circumstances decoding of e-mail message attachments
will cause the TRIM Client to become unresponsive when
viewing or printing an attachment or doing a document content
search.
The TRIM Event Processor will also become unresponsive when
document content indexing the attachment and will need to be
restarted once the problematic record is quarantined
TRIM Render will also become unresponsive when creating PDF
renditions from the attachment.

Fixed. HP TRIM Client, HP TRIM Event Processor and HP TRIM Render will not
become unresponsive.

It's a long shot, but this might be affecting the 6.2.4 users too?

But that still doesn't explain the 6.2.3 users getting the issue... hmmm...

(PS: Don't install 6.2.4 1225 for any more users, get the latest 6.2.4 or 6.2.5)

Have you had any of the TRIM support team remote in and have a look at the issue first hand?

There may be something that stands out when seeing the issue occur.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Valued Contributor

We haven't had anybody from HP remote into a computer to see the behavior.  I don't notice anything odd occur when reproducing the hang, it runs normally until the program window stops taking input and says that it's not responding.  Overall, we've skipped Trim 6.2.4, but this is the first I heard of a recall due to a defect.

On the 6.2.3 user's computer, I removed the doc, docx and docm viewer bypass options, closed Trim, reopened it and it still hung when rendering the preview.  I closed Trim, reopened it and added bypass viewer for doc, docx, docm and dot extension, but it still hung Trim.

Honored Contributor

raynebc wrote:

Overall, we've skipped Trim 6.2.4, but this is the first I heard of a recall due to a defect.

It was 1225 that we briefly released and 'replaced' within a period of a few days.

1226 came out and fixed the problem we found, however some people and business partners still got their hands on a copy of 1225 and are still giving it out I think...

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Valued Contributor

It might be good for HP to implement a system where if a customer downloads a software release that is later recalled and replaced, that customer receives electronic notification.  I wasn't in the right place at the right time to receive any news about the release of build 1226.

Honored Contributor

Hahaha, good luck with that!

Honored Contributor

raynebc wrote:

It might be good for HP to implement a system where if a customer downloads a software release that is later recalled and replaced, that customer receives electronic notification.  I wasn't in the right place at the right time to receive any news about the release of build 1226.

Yep! Trust me, it has been asked plenty of times and I wish we did have a system in place!

We used to do it in TOWER, but the HP processes are very limited...

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event