Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

URL of Records - TRIM Desktop Client

Occasional Advisor

URL of Records - TRIM Desktop Client

How do I get the URL of a document/record in TRIM  using the Desktop client? I see there is an option within "Send to", but it is grayed out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: URL of Records - TRIM Desktop Client

Which URL are you talking about?

The WebClient URL? WebDrawer URL? ICE URL?

Do you mean you want to create a .TR5 reference file for that record?

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Occasional Advisor

I don't know what I need, but I can tell you want I would like to happen:

Simply, I copy the URL of a Record onto my clipboard, so that I can paste it into an email message so that someone else can click on the link, and the file attached to the record is downloaded to the user's workstation?

I've seen this done in other doc mgmt systems and was wondering if TRIM allows this. Surely it does?

Honored Contributor

Well yes, this is possible with many different methods.

It depends on what sort of link you want to send, or if you're happy to email the entire document.

In TRIM, you can:

1. Create a TRIM Reference file (.tr5 file) which when opened by a user, will launch TRIM and take them directly to that record.

So you could create a .tr5 file (Right-click record > Send To > Make Reference), then embed the .tr5 into a Word document or attach it to an email etc.

This method relies on the user having access to TRIM.

2. Send the document (or .tr5 reference) directly to the user via TRIM.

To do this, right-click record > Send To > Mail Recipient.

There are 2 tick boxes under the 'Attachment' tab if using the TRIM mail form, so you can send a .tr5 reference and/or the entire electronic document.

If sending the reference, the user needs access to TRIM, if sending the document, they will get the document without any access requirements.

3. If you want to send an actual 'URL', e.g. http://yourserver/trim/record1234, then this requires a bit more work.

You will need to have one of the TRIM web modules installed and configured on the server, such as ICE in 6.2 or the WebClient in HP TRIM 7.

Then you need to have a system to determine the exact 'URL' of the record/document to want, which is normally the record uri.

This method requires that the user has TRIM access.

4. Similar to 3, many business partners have developed applications/modules for TRIM that make the above process much easier for the end user.

Not trying to advertise for anyone, but the first product that comes to mind is made by Kapish.

I'm pretty sure most of the other TRIM business partners have similar products available, so have a look around.

There's probably some other clever methods out there that customers have come up with, but it really depends on your exact requirements and what level of access the recipient will have.

If you have SharePoint integration setup for example, you could also use a sharepoint site/URL... so many options really. :smileyhappy:

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Honored Contributor

Grundy wrote:
3. If you want to send an actual 'URL', e.g. http://yourserver/trim/record1234, then this requires a bit more work.

You will need to have one of the TRIM web modules installed and configured on the server, such as ICE in 6.2 or the WebClient in HP TRIM 7.

Then you need to have a system to determine the exact 'URL' of the record/document to want, which is normally the record uri.

This method requires that the user has TRIM access.

"A system" would be TRIM itself. Just add the field "Context URL" (or "HP TRIM URL" if you're on 7.x) to the view pane to get the Webdrawer, ICE or WebClient URL.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
Honored Contributor

True, I meant a 'process' though, since you want this to be as easy as possible for the end user. :smileyhappy:

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event