Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrade Advice

Trusted Contributor

Upgrade Advice

Hi everyone

I'm after some upgrade advice.

We are currently using 6.2.4 and have a requirement to upgrade to either 6.2.5, 7.1 or 7.2 due to our exchange server being upgraded to 2010.

If I have to go through the hassle of an upgrade then I'm keen to move to the latest version but as my org is on XP (for at least another 12 months) I can't got to 7.2.

I keep reading about little issues with 7.1 on the forum (ie. http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Client-Support/TRIM-7-1-SP-1-Weird-Behavior-when-drag-drop-into-folder/td-p/5544475, http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Client-Support/Document-Queues-behaviour-in-7-1/td-p/5401621, http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/E-mail-Integration/Outlook-and-trim-7-1-1/m-p/5545395#M456 etc etc) and it makes me a tad nervous.

Add to that the amount of integration we have with other LOBs (via both web services and the SDK) and the fact we also use TRIM WebDrawer and I'm wondering if I should just move to 6.2.5 and sit on that until we are on Win7 - then sometime next year do the major upgrade to 7.x.

I know the HP advice is going to be to move to the latest build asap, and that XP is unsupported so we should be getting off it asap etc etc but that just isn't the real world.

So, I'm guess I'm after some general thoughts from those that have upgraded to 7.1:

* Has it gone relatively smoothly?

* Did you have integration with other LOBs using the webservice/sdk? How did that side of things go?

* Did you have other products plugged into TRIM (3rd party TRIM adddons) and did the upgrade of those go ok?

All other thoughts/comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps

Michael

10 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade Advice

In general, I would suggest looking at 7.1.1.

Yes, there may be teething issues, but any problem we find will be fixed in a 7.1.1 patch/build.

We wont be doing any more work on 6.2.X and very unlikely to do any more 7.1.0 releases. (7.1.1 now fully supersedes 7.1.0)

Go for 7.1.1, test thoroughly and if you find anything, I expect R&D will be onto it pretty quickly, as long as it's reported to support in time. :)

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Honored Contributor

Overall I haven't seen much bad about 7.1.1.  The things I've found have been minor, and the bugs that were in some of the modules for 7.1, 7.0 just made going to 7.1.1 pretty much mandatory.  I'd recommend going with it!

Valued Contributor

Unfortunately we migrated to Trim 7.1 before 7.1.1 came out.  We ran into various bugs that are getting ironed out, but we're not going to be able to risk another upgrade so quickly.  Hopefully the continued maturation of the 7.1.x series will make future migrations smoother.

Respected Contributor

I think you will be lucky if HP produces another 7.1.1 after 1821.  From my testing though its pretty good and would be where I would be going if I was you.

Frequent Advisor

I have many clients that have upgraded from 6.x and 7.0x to 7.1.  The upgrade is not truly clean.  Old links to 6.x and some 7.0x remain after the upgrade.  What is HP's plan to provide a clean and well structured upgrade routine for users?  We have had to go directly to several desktops and the occasional server in order to remove all old links and remnants from previous builds.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The messiness of Trim's installer/uninstaller has been complained about to HP many times, but it never seemed to be of much concern to them.  For now, we have no choice but to manually delete leftover files and registry keys.

This is a prime example of this sloppiness causing larger problems:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Client-Support/Uninstalling-7-2-x86/m-p/5548281#M2206

Respected Contributor

Really the issue is mostly where the key's get written, if HP TRIM writes keys to the HKCU, an uninstall of HP TRIM will not clean this up.  It also struggles with stuff created with in other applications hives etc. 

There are plenty of worse offenders then TRIM on the market but an easy way is when you upgrade do a batch file with a registy clean up as well.  Delete the things that course the problems (outlook, excel keys in classes root and local machine) and have a login script to clean up user profiles and set your new settings for the HKCU stuff.

I hadn't run into the 7.2 issue as i installed it and havent uninstalled it.  But I did do an install of HP TRIM v7.1.1 using total install (with out turning on outlook integration and then did an uninstall and Total Uninstall said there was no left over keys.

Now if I went and turned on my Com's addins for word , excel etc, how is the msi unistaller that didnt set them going to remove the keys ?

Valued Contributor

It can parse the application's related keys for each user and correctly remove those settings.  Especially now that Trim's integration is fully controllable through Trim instead of having to manually add the plugin.  There is no reason the uninstaller couldn't accomplish this through programming.

Honored Contributor

Philip Harney wrote:

I think you will be lucky if HP produces another 7.1.1 after 1821.  From my testing though its pretty good and would be where I would be going if I was you.

We may end up with another 7.1.1 under a new build, but we will definitely have a 7.1.2 from what I can see.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
HPE Expert

If you're planning to upgrade to 7.1.1.1821, make sure you log a support case requesting a copy of the hotfix for Document Content Indexing to prevent errors indexing PDF's. A similar hotfix was released for 7.1.0 but the fix didn't make it into the core 7.1.1 install.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event