Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.3. 5645 to 7.3.4 , 6739 - Any issues?

Valued Contributor

Upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.3. 5645 to 7.3.4 , 6739 - Any issues?

Win 7, MS Office 2010, TRIM 7.3.3, SQL 2008-r2;

We are planning to do the upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.3. 5645 to 7.3.4 , 6739 very soon, in 10 days , so I have been asked to investigate if there are any issues with this upgrade? Fox example the main goal is to solve the WGS falling down and to fix the known webdrawer issue. Are these really fixed in this build; how to best test it; are there any new issues discovered in 7.3.4?

Any other info/tips are welcomed.

Thanks

13 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.3. 5645 to 7.3.4 , 6739 - Any issues?

The WG server crashing issue is fixed.

If you really want to test it yourself, the issue was caused by notification load. (A notification is a small packet sent from the WG server to any connected TRIM session with notifying of altered metadata etc.)

Easiest way to replicate is open up 50-100 clients all connected to the same WG.

In one client, do a large search (10,000 plus records), tag all, alter a minor date value like Date Published.

(DO THIS IN A TEST DATASET)

This will generate a large number of notifications over a short time period, which then causes the WG to freeze.

You can try this in 7.3.3 first, then test again after upgrade to ensure it's resolved.

All clients should be connected to the test dataset.

There are no real issues upgrading between the two.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Valued Contributor

Thanks,

I will advise IT to try this load test. usualy, the scrip will create e.g. 200 concurrent connections but that is not good enough, what we need to test is actually all these users doing something with a documents...e.g. editing...creating... etc. Not sure for other good ways of testing the WGS.

Not sure what do you mean by opening 100 clients at the same? 100 sessions of TRIM from one or 2 PC machines or 100 different users to connectto a test server (hardly achieavable)?

Also, My server's monitoring (WGS) is done via TES installed on my test machine rather than from Server and I am not sure where to llok for these small packets of info? Windows server logs?

P.S. How can we open DMP Files?.

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Also, any issues upgrading a client only?

HPE Expert

Yep, upgrading the client only will mean you still have the WGS server crash issue. 

Also we cannot support mixed build environments, it should only be used as a short term solution in the upgrade process.

TRIM DMP files can be sent to support for analysis 

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Honored Contributor

Just 100 TRIM client sessions total, you can use 1 user. So if you open 100 sessions on a single machine (not advisable), that will do.

I would recommend opening 25 clients across 4 machines. (CPU usage will get hammered once the notifications start)

DMP files wont help you here, just ignore them.

There's nothing you need to monitor either.

Just open a single client session on a 5th machine once the other clients are open, do the large search, tag all and update a basic metadata value.

If you try this in 7.3.1, 7.3.2 or 7.3.3 (first releases, not the patched releases), then you'll crash the WG.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrade from HP TRIM 7.3.3. 5645 to 7.3.4 , 5739 - Any issues?

Thanks for this.

Something "new" came up. 2 things:

Just realised that since my testing machine was upgraded (Client) from 7.3.3 5645 to 7.3.4 5739 (rather then 6739 as I wrote in the topic title) I lost TRIM MS Outlook integration, meaning Add-Ins is not working properly, not being able to catalogue e-mails. the error 8007007e ,

This is fixed by simple TRIM Repair. ( I do have 4 Datasets and trim environment in my dataset list..dev, test prod etc.)

Anyway, after I unchecked the box "open your default server dataset next time" , HP TRIM and all other integrated apps are asking me for which dataset I want to connect. If I choose testing dataset, and point my TRIM there, then open MS Outlook and choose / point MS OUtlook also to testing dataset , it works oK. However, I am having troubles linking existing folders/subfolders under my MS Outlook Inbox towards this testing dataset.  When I click (select/highlight) the folder I want to link, then go to Add-Ins, HP TRIM, current folder, create the link, the form pops up asking for record type and container.

When I try to choose the container from the testing environment/dataset, there is no option for choosing it. Meaning, it displays the standard HP TRIM - Select from records-My Containers-25 found "form" and all those records/files are from my default production trim environment. No option once again to choose the container from test anvironment.

Am I doing something wrong here or asking for impossible :-) ?

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Hi,

It did not work, we could not crash the WGS in testing:

two users pointed to testing environments (on different floors)

one user using 2machines other 3 machines

each machine run 10 sessions of TRIM .

Monitoring WGS with TES. (Idol also)

SImultanously I run the metadata update in bulk for Date published on 9,700 records search. (The search is saved as favorites and open in all these 50 sessions, scrolled down for 300 records each. Column view changed to allow refreshing of the updated field isntantly. No success. Then I started TRIM BULK Importing using external tool 600 records (done it 3 times) no success... Then on each of 20 sessions that I was in charge, I started different metadata change ..owner, assigne, home, date for this and that, notes, even the container / location change .... Also I did Print Merge of these 10,000 docs for around 200 record field properties..... Everything is still going on, but WGS in test environments still OK...My windows color scheme changed as my memory was running out.... I am recording everything with Camtasia screen capture software ...

Any other ideas how to crash a WGS in test environment?

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Yep, on the right track there, but you may need to increase the load.

It sometimes took an hour or so for my environment to crash when figuring out the bug.

Try increases the clients open on each machine to 15-20 each.

Then on the machine where running the search and updating metadata, try just doing a search for 'all records' so you get more than 10,000.

Hopefully you get more than 100,000 hits at least.

Sort these records by record number going high to low. Tag all and update 'Date Published' to today.

Do another search for the same records, 100,000+ results. sort the opposite direction, record number low to high.

update a different metadata field, e.g. date due for 2020.

Tag all and run.

This will double the load if your search updating machine is fast enough and the database can keep up.

Also make sure the machines with open clients start increasing in CPU usage, it should be hitting 50% or more. (So you know they are getting notifications)

With more results, you should be able to run the test longer, it may take up to an hour.

(Check the application logs on the WG server for publisher/notification errors)

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Valued Contributor

Hi, thanks,

It worked this time.

search for 60,000 records was executed on each of the 15 TRIM sessions (2 TRIM network logon's) and on 3-4 machine, the bulk upload of a few thousands records was done at the same time together with the minor and major metadata updates Date published, container, author etc..... after 20 minutes and users sorting out the columns by title etc. on these 60,000 records caused the WGS to slowdoan and crash. Even the sorting stopped, together with Bulk upload tool Importer.

The repeated tests will be done once we upgrade the testing environment to 7.3.4 Server as well.

Thanks

Occasional Advisor

Regarding the 8007007e  error being solved by a 'simple TRIM Repair',  could you please describe how to accomplish that repair for someone who is not familiar with it?

Thanks, 

Greg

Valued Contributor

Well, go to Control Panel - programs and features...find HP TRIM ...right click and choose REPAIR ...

TRIM will be repaired and the issue will dissappear.

However, you will be introduced to the new issue, not so easily solved. - Slow Sent Items in MS Outlook, if integration exist with TRIM.

Just now, HP found the code that was doing that and then, new patch/build will be available soon for testing.

Regards

HPE Expert

You can also jsut run the TRIM installer package again and select repair.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the solution, and for the additional heads-up.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event