Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

User cannot check records out to Offline Records

Valued Contributor

User cannot check records out to Offline Records

One of our Trim 6.2.3.1147 users is running Windows Vista, and is having this particular problem.  If he tries to check out a record to Offline Records, he gets this error:

"An error occured accessing the repository for Offline Records. Could not open database for Offline Records. Unspecified error (0x80004005)"

I found one thread on the old support forum that mentioned copying a database from another computer or running a repair install.  I checked the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TOWER Software\TRIM5\DataPaths registry key, and there was no path, so I searched the user's profile for all .mdb files, "trimtd.mdb" did not exist.  As far as we can tell, the user's profile did not get recreated or corrupted, and he had never tried to check out a record to Offline Records before, so perhaps this file was never created in the first place.

I did a repair install, but it did not correct the issue.  It would be my preference not to copy the file from another user's computer in order to avoid introducing problems, but I believe I had run into this issue before and there was no other alternative.  In such a case, I would need to be given the database password and instructions for what content to delete so I can safely provide the affected user with a clean database file.

Is it expected that the reason it might not have been able to create the file is because of differences between Vista and previous Windows platforms?

29 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: User cannot check records out to Offline Records

Vista does have some quirks.... especially aruond UAC. 

0x80004005 is the error code for generic errors when access imaging devies; are you sure it wasn't 0x80040005?  That's the error code for access denied (which would make sense if you didn't install with elevated priviledges.

If you don't have a value in the datapaths key of the registry, then the default will be used: "%APPDATA%\TOWER Software\TRIM5\<DBID>".  Can you verify whether that path was created?  Do you move your APPDATA path to something other than what is normal?

Note that the password for the TRIMTD database should not be given out on this forum.

Cheers,

Erik

Valued Contributor

About the error code, I don't know if it was mistyped, but he gave it as 0x80004005, as did the older HP support thread in question:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1274115236367+28353475&threadId=1329305

I believe that path did exist, I found other files in the \TRIM5 folder for each dataset he's accessed, but no database file.

If I need to create a ticket to get the instructions for editing the database file, then I'll do so.  Or if a PM is considered secure enough, that would be fine with me.

Trusted Contributor

I've seen a similar error and managed to fix it by simply going into TRIM on the users PC and removing all the folders showing in offline records.

Not sure if it will work in this instance but would be worth a try.

Cheers

Michael

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, but it showed no containers in offline records.  Refreshing with F5 brought up the same error message.  I told it to remove all empty containers anyway and hit F5 again, but it hadn't built the database.  Is there any way to have Trim gracefully create this file or do I need to open a ticket with HP to get instructions for modifying a copy of the database from another computer?

Respected Contributor

TRIM.MDB file is a hidden operating system file so make for your view is set so you can do this.  actually in vista this is a pain.  You need to go oragnise layouts and display the menu bar for vista, then show hidden operating files and show hidden files.

Should find it.  If its not there opening up offline records should create it for you.  

Honored Contributor

You mean the TRIMTD.MDB?

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Valued Contributor

I did a search in all hidden, nonhidden and system files/folders for the database, but Trim did not create it no matter how many times I accessed Offline Records.  I've seen this happen before so it is reproducable in some way.  I'll just go ahead and open a ticket so I can get this problem resolved.

Valued Contributor

I can replicate this issue and get the same error code in 6.2.4 1240 on Win 7. Copying the mdb file from the original Offline Records location does work as a manual fix.

Honored Contributor

I bet you this is being caused because you didn't run the msi from an administrative command prompt.  As per the installation instructions, run an administrative command prompt (right click on the command prompt program menu item and select run as administrator), change to the directory holding your TRIMInstall.msi, and execute "msiexe -i TRIMInstall.msi".

Valued Contributor

Hi Eric, my case was a little different. Existing TRIM instanace and I'm testing the redirection of the datapaths at a client site using a registry change. This didn't cause any problems previously on XP OS Sites that I can recall.

Cheers

Mark

Honored Contributor

Windows 7 changes the security model for installations.  If you don't execute the installer under the administrator credentials (via the command line prompt or a deployment tool), then it won't create the offline records components properly.

I ran into this issue the first time I installed 6.2.4.1240 on Windows 7.  Was a pain until I realized I installed it incorrectly! :smileyindifferent:

Valued Contributor

The install documentation also states that the default location of the Offline Records database and the Offline Records objects can be changed via the registry.

I'm finding a lot of installation and maintenance differences between Win 7 and Win XP that are not reflected in the 6.2.4 or 7.00 HP Documentation.

Just makes our TRIM experiences more challenging. :smileysurprised:

Valued Contributor

I can verify that insufficient permissions are not the only possible cause for this issue.

On the Vista user we saw this happen to, the software was deployed via Group Policy and had all necessary permissions for installation.

On the XP user we saw this happen to, UAC/etc. doesn't exist on the Operating System.

Honored Contributor

I was just responding to Mark's post about Windows 7. 

Valued Contributor

That's fine, I just hadn't mentioned we also saw this happen in Windows XP, it can help eliminate some causes.

Regular Advisor

I am also having an issue with offline records.  I can view documents as read only but as soon as i try to check it out to edit, it won't open.  I believe it is also having an issue with security on the offline records and doesn't permit the user to write to that location.  I never had this issue on 6.2.4.1240 with Windows 7.  But since upgrading to 6.2.5.1300 I now have this issue.  If I manually go to the offline folder I get this warning when trying to open it. (see attachment)

I have tried adding this location to the internet security zone but this does not seem to make any difference.  This installation was done under a local administrator account.

Any clues?

Honored Contributor

It's possible that under Windows 7, using IE8 by default, you will get this issue...

On the XP machine having the problem, what if you revert back to IE7? Does the problem still occur?

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Regular Advisor

Actually, after doing some more testing.  It appears that pdf files can be written to the offline folder.  So it appears that MS Office documents have an issue writing to the offline location.  I am using Office 2010 with Windows 7 and Trim 6.2.5.1300.  The Offline records location is in the users home directory on a network share.  I have added the offline folder location to the trust center in word and excel, but still have this issue.  Anyone else testing in this environment?

Honored Contributor

Is it only Office 2010 affected here?

It's not supported yet. :smileyhappy:

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Regular Advisor

Uninstalled Office 2010 and reinstalled Office 2007.  Works now.  So when will Office 2010 be officially Supported?

Honored Contributor

It's in the works. :smileyhappy:

Office 2010 no longer uses ODMA, so an entirely new integration needs to be written (which will also help resolve all the 03/07 format issues hopefully!).

Can't say when or what build at this stage.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

Kapish.com.au
Valued Contributor

It doesn't support ODMA?  This sounds like Microsoft is taking a huge step backward in the enterprise.  I couldn't find any sources to confirm that Office 2010 doesn't support ODMA, do you have a link to any articles regarding this?

Honored Contributor

raynebc,

The aren't take a huge step backwards, they are taking a huge step forward (if you believe their sales hype).  This is part of the stategy to move everyone towards Scarepoint.  The ODMA specification hasn't been updated in forever anyways and it is a burdon for them to continue to support it in the core products (plus it's not supported by most applications on the desktop anyways).

This isn't surprising at all. 

It's also worth noting that I highly doubt TRIM will have its' own integration ready by go-live date of Office 2010.  Luckily there are third-party products out on the market that already provide native support between TRIM and Office 2010.

Cheers,

Erik

Valued Contributor

Isn't Sharepoint a closed standard?  When I mentioned this, one of my coworkers thought Microsoft was phasing out ODMA in favor of a different open standard?  If this is not the case, will Office only integrate with Sharepoint?