Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Using Print Merge from TRIM Location table to create mail merge in MS Word

Occasional Contributor

Using Print Merge from TRIM Location table to create mail merge in MS Word

I am having difficulties using the TRIM Location table to create a mail merge in MS Word via the Print Merge function.  Attached are screenshots from my attempts to do this.  Most of the steps are successful, except that I cannot extract the address data as separate fields, like how I enter the address information in the location's profile (Street, City, State, Postal Code); I need this data to be exported from TRIM in these distinct address fields so that a user can utilize the export in a mail merge (thus far, I have only been able to export the address information as one block, either "Street Address" or "Mailing Address," which is not helpful for a mail merge).  Any advice on how to achieve what I want (exporting these fields separately rather than as a group) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: Using Print Merge from TRIM Location table to create mail merge in MS Word

I must admit it's a while since I tried using Print Merge for Word mail merges. I'm not sure displaying the data in Excel is doing the Print Merge function justice. Also, using Tab delimited probably isn't the best choice. From memory, the address field (admittedly exported as one field) is supposed to contain carriage returns so when it's put into a Word document it displays as it should. Sure, I agree it'd make some sense to export all the fields separately, but that might also be dependent on how they're stored in TRIM. What version of TRIM are you using?

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of TRIM/RM/CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Occasional Contributor

We are using Version 7, Build 1.0.1157.  Attached is a screenshot of the location's Address tab information in one of the profiles, as well as how things look if I save the Print Merge as a Word document and open the file in Word. 

If you were trying to using TRIM location information for mail merge purposes, how would you do this?  What is the easiest, fastest way that we could teach our desktop users?

Claire

HPE Expert

Hi Claire,

Sorry it's taken a while to reply - have just gotten around to having another look at this. I'm wondering if you're expecting more of the print-merged location data than what it's supposed to provide? The file that TRIM exports is only designed to be used as a print merge source data file when using Word's Mail Merge function.

Are you already familiar with the MS Word process of doing mail merges? E.g. In Word 2007 when creating a new document you can go to the "Mailings" tab and there's a "Start Mail Merge" option. If you use the Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard, at the point where it asks you to select recipients, you can browse to the file that TRIM exported in the print merge process, and select the relevant data to include into your Word template.

It does appear from the document you attached that TRIM has automatically included carriage returns between the street and suburb data, hence when used in your word mail merge template the address should display correctly.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of TRIM/RM/CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/