Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Virtual vs Physical - Database Servers

Frequent Advisor

Virtual vs Physical - Database Servers

Currently on TRIM 7.1.0 1157 - Oracle database (physical server at present)

I've seen posts on this forum suggesting that HP recommend using physical servers for the database rather than virtual, but I can't seem to locate any official documentation from HP stating this. Does anyone know if such documentation exists and if so where I would find it?

5 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Virtual vs Physical - Database Servers

No, we dont list this in any documentation.

However we definitely do recommend the use of physical servers for your database.

We really only list what is 'supported' and we will support a database on a virtualised environment, but be prepared to take a performance hit!

(This isn't TRIM, VMs are inherently I/O limited compared to physical machines due to how a virtual OS utilises the physical hardware... you'll never get a VM running as fast as a physical box)

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

Kapish.com.au
HPE Expert

There's a general comment on Page 32 of TRIM7.1_Spec.pdf for your version of TRIM:

HP TRIM in virtual environments
HP Software undertakes both development and testing of HP TRIM in virtualized environments, including both Microsoft Virtual PC/Server and EMC VMware.

Where an operating system supported for HP TRIM is virtualized, this should be transparent to HP TRIM; and this has been HP's experience to date. HP has numerous customers worldwide successfully using HP TRIM in virtual environments, with few or no issues. To date, all issues that have arisen have been resolved by reconfiguration of either the virtual host environment or the hosting hardware itself.

With regard to system performance, running HP TRIM in a virtual environment is likely to result in increased CPU utilization or other hardware resource consumption. This can result in a reduction in system workload capacity; hence a corresponding increase in transaction response times. HP strongly encourages customers and partners to gather baseline performance statistics for HP TRIM in both conventional and virtual environments, and satisfy themselves as to the stability and performance of selected virtual environments before using them for production implementations.

If an issue arises in a virtual environment that does not also occur in a conventional environment; HP cannot guarantee a resolution to the issue. Where it is apparent that a particular issue is specific to virtualization technologies, HP may ask the customer to reproduce the issue in a non-virtualized environment before committing further support resources.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Jon and Neil,

Neil, I looked at our 7.1 spec document yesterday and couldn't find this section. Looked again just now, still couldn't see it. Have now discovered there is a Feb 2011 version and a July 2011 version of the 7.1 spec (I've been looking at the Feb version which doesn't include the virtualisation section). So thanks very much, it certainly helps to be looking at the right document!

HPE Expert

You're welcome Jane.

Yeah the Feb 2011 version of TRIM7.1_Spec.pdf was from 7.1.0.1132. The July 2011 version is for the version of TRIM you're using (7.1.0.1157).

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Frequent Advisor

yeah, I figured that must have been what it was. I hadn't realised the spec would change with the minor build numbers. We were originally going to go with 1132 but had to change to 1157 due to the connectivity issues with 1132.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event