Client Support
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What's the best solution to fix Outlook and TRIM issues?

Esteemed Contributor

What's the best solution to fix Outlook and TRIM issues?

Our client PCs are running either Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 and TRIM 6.2.2.8614

During the past 4 to 6 weeks we have been getting a great many reports of Outlook crashing on start-up and the TRIM outlook add-in is to blame. This error occurs for both Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 users.

We are still trying to establish why it was relatively stable until recently (there has been no change to TRIM on these machines).

My question is what is the best way to fix Outlook TRIM Add-in issues?

I thought maybe the TRIM outlook add-in might need to be re-registered or possibly one of the Office dlls? I can’t remember which one.

The problem is on start-up of Outlook I believe (outlook starts automatically when users login).

The current fix is to disable the add-in and then re-enable the add-in later. The problem will still occur for these users on another day however.

It also doesn’t occur for all but it is becoming more common.

Josh

4 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the best solution to fix Outlook and TRIM issues?

Hi Josh,

On "the other forum" (I agree two is just silly) http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1385498 Jon did provide advise that HP was looking into a fix for Outlook 2007 crashing. I believe that the fix has been released in 6.2.5 according to the SPER notes.

Are you running XP, Vista or Win 7? and is it only the Outlook 2007 that have the issue?

Cheers

Mark

Esteemed Contributor

Hi mark

Yep I know about the new add in and have setup a 6.2.5 test client with that new add-in. I don’t know if the

problems with the add-in are the main issue. We had the trim add-in work relatively fine with both office 2003

and 2007 for 18 months. Only recently have we had the problem occur. Maybe some patch was applied to

outlook that means the add-in fails more regularly?

We are on WIN XP

Josh

Valued Contributor

Hi Josh,

Thought you would know. The company I'm working with, as you know, has had excessive Outlook crashing problems since upgrading to Office 2007 and Win7. Following some extensive investigations I would agree that the TRIM Addin to Outlook is only one several issues causing Outlook 2007 to crash.

Microsoft had a lot of issues with until SP 2 was released and this was supposed to fix the problems. I think that all we can do from a TRIM perspective is install 6.2.5 with the new integration (same functionality) and then push back to IT and have them investigate Exchange Servers, network and client connectivity.

A few questions:

1. Do you have any other Addin's in Outlook?
  2. Have you seen Outlook crash with the TRIM Integration turned off?
  3. Have you checked the Application Event logs in the computer manager?

Cheers

Mark

Honored Contributor

Outlook has a bad habbit of blaming add-ins (not just TRIM!) when it crashes.

Since the add-in hasn't changed and TRIM hasn't changed, I would be pushing to have the Exchange/Office environment thoroughly checked.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event