Communications and Wireless
1752799 Members
6231 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Any PDA can provide 100 meters bluetooth distance?

Jian Wang

Any PDA can provide 100 meters bluetooth distance?

I can't find any iPaq has this ability.
9 REPLIES 9
Gary Cantwell
Honored Contributor

Hi Jian,

Welcome to the forums!

You could also post your question over in the iPaq Category of the Business Support Forums:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=273

The experts there will have some suggestions for you,

Hope this helps,

Gary
Philip Doragh
Trusted Contributor

This question has no specificity to iPaq, by the definition of the current Bluetooth physical layer, no Bluetooth enabled device is going to communicate over 100 meters. The power levels being broadcasted by the radio of the Bluetooth devices will limit them to about 30 meters.

If you want to communicate wirelessly for 100 meters you need to use WLAN technology.
Jian Wang

Thanks, are you sure the iPaq build in 30 meters bluetooth device?
I thouhgt it's only 10 meters.

Also, did you mean: because the power issue, the PDA can't get 100 meters bluetooth distance?

Thanks,
Jian
Philip Doragh
Trusted Contributor

I meant to say 30 feet / 10 meters
Philip Doragh
Trusted Contributor

I was saying the distance/power does not have anything to do with Bluetooth being in a PDA, but goes to the definition of the Bluetooth radio regardless of what host it is within.
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

There are 3 classes of Bluetooth operation. Class I devices can send/receive up to 100 meters, Class II up to 10 meters, and Class III up to 1 meter. I don't think there are any PDAs that will operate as Class I devices due mainly to the power requirementsn - they are all Class II devices.

There are USB Bluetooth dongles for PCs that provide Class I service, so a PDA could theoretically communicate with your desktop at the 100 meter range, but don't count on it (at least not yet). Of course the technology is constantly changing...

Allan
Jian Wang

Thanks,

If the iPaq supports USB-HOST, then we can extend the bluetooth as an external Bluetooth USB dongle which can be 100 meters.

Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

No, the iPAQ does not support USB-HOST. I was only referring to the USB Bluetooth dongles connected to PCs. You may be able to use the same or similar dongles on PDAs that support USB-HOST, but the iPAQ does not fit into that category, and you will most likely run into severe battery life problems.

Allan
Jian Wang

Thanks.