5250 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Automatic startup Internet browser after connecting to network

Jaap Laaij
Frequent Advisor

Automatic startup Internet browser after connecting to network

Hi all,

Wireless users are automatically connected to the network when they enter the building.

Is it in some way possible that after they connect  a browser is started?

Thanks

Jaap

4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

What devices are you talking about?  What OS are they running?

Jaap Laaij
Frequent Advisor

I was afraid this could be an issue :)

The company would like to implement BYOD (Bring your own device).

Not only for guests but also employees.

So it could be laptops(Windows), iPads, ipHone, android and symbian stuff etc with whatever version.

I already advised management to come up with some standardizing on HW/SW for emplyeees anyway, but to no avail yet.

Any advise? Best practices?

tschaps
Valued Contributor

If what you are asking is for the system to automatically launch a web browser upon a device's connection to your network, I don't believe that is possible with any device. Even if it were, it's unlikely it would be compatible with all the variety of wireless devices.

What the system can do is re-direct a user's first attempt to surf to any web site with any browser to an authentication/policy webpage, so they can either login with username/password, or you can have them have to click a box to agree to the terms of use, and then their device(s) can access the network. Is that what you were asking?

Jaap Laaij
Frequent Advisor

At the moment after connecting to the VSC/SSID you have to start a browser to get redirected to the portals login page. It would be great if, after connecting to the VSC/SSID, the portals login webpage would be presented automatically. So without starting the webbrowser yourself.