108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Can't connect to WPA encrypted network

SOLVED
Go to solution
Neil Pankey
Occasional Contributor

Can't connect to WPA encrypted network

I have a Pavillion ze5375 notebook and am unable to connect to a WPA encrypted network. I'm using the wireless adapter that came with the notebook and it's listed in the device manager as LAN-Express IEEE 802.11 PCI Adapter. I recently reinstalled Windows and did all the necessary updates. I have also downloaded and installed all the latest drivers off the HP website including the Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver and the Broadcom WLAN Network Adapters User Interface.

When I open the Broadcom User Interface it says there are no adapters detected and there is nothing else that I can do from that window. When I open the page showing the available wireless networks, the one I'm trying to connect to is listed as Security-Enabled wireless network but it doesn't recognize it as WPA encrypted. On my roommates computers the wireless networks page recognizes it as a WPA encypted network. If I try to connect I get a message stating that Windows was unable to connect to the network.

I'm pretty sure that the problem isn't the wireless card itself because I'm still able to connect to WEP encrypted networks. Any ideas on what might fix this would be great.
10 REPLIES 10
Roderik Hamers
Frequent Advisor

Re: Can't connect to WPA encrypted network

First:
Does your wireless device supports WPDA?

Second:
Try to connect to the wireless network by unchecking all the encryption if that works, work by steps thru the encryption starting at WEP 64-bits, if that works go to WEP 128-bit and further on.

I hope this will solve your problem.

Roderik.
Philip Doragh
Trusted Contributor

The LAN-Express IEEE 802.11 PCI Adapter is not based on a Broadcom WLAN chipset, so the Broadcom software loaded on the system or on the HP website will not work with the card. In the middle of these notebooks production run, a change in WLAN vendor was made, thus the mulitple WLAN software drivers.

The Lan-Express card is based on Intersil's PRISM II chipset... and to this point HP has not released any WPA support for this card. This card only supports WEP encryption.
Henning Markussen

I have a ze4518ea with the same WLAN network card, and have the same problem when trying to connect to a WPA encrypted network.

Is there a plan from HP to release a driver that supports WPA ?
Philip Doragh
Trusted Contributor

There is currently no plan from HP to release a driver for the LAN-Express device that supports WPA.
Steve Nurnberg
Occasional Advisor

The following Intersil driver for PRISM II cards will support WPA:

http://www.fujitsupc.com/downloads/Wireless_Intersil_WPA_v3.0.4_XP.exe

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.
Dave Bowles

Same problem here. Would like to dwnload the WPA compatible driver but the link no longer works. Can you post again with a functioning link? Has anyone tried this download?
Steve Nurnberg
Occasional Advisor

Steve Nurnberg
Occasional Advisor
Solution

The above link was for Win2000.
Here is the Windows XP link:
http://www.fujitsupc.com/downloads/mobile/Wireless_Intersil_WPA_v3.0.4_XP.exe
rus

I have this same problem however with a Sony Vaio laptop using the same adapter.

However once I install the chipset linked in the post above, I can no longer detect any wireless networks at all.

..Though I can "add" a network using Window's wireless manager and change the encryption to an invented network to use WPA.

But I can't detect any networks to connect to.

I have tried updating the driver from the sony website but the updated driver installation always fails and ends up completely uninstalling the driver. I then install the original driver off the sony website and I can then again detect the WPA network I would like to connect to (but can't).
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Cyrus