1748255 Members
4110 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade of modems to 5.2.8

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Upgrade of modems to 5.2.8

I upgraded about half of my modems to 5.2.8, when I went in to finish the upgrade, I could not connect to the modems. I am using the same computer with the same cable and connecting the same way. When I try to issue an AT command I get no echo or response regardless of what I try. I have verified all settings, verified the com port installation, tried four different computers, two different cables, remade each cable twice, reset the modems ( cold and warm ) all to no avail. Anyone have any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Or at least a troubleshooting guide for this kind of problem that I can refer to. Support for this item is hard to find these days.
7 REPLIES 7
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrade of modems to 5.2.8

Case # C010705-549

1) Are these quad or octal modems?
2) What stat does the Compaq Manager say they are in? (Idle, Busy or Boot)
3) Can he direct connect and issue commands to the modem through the Compaq Manager?
4) Under the Compaq Manager --View--Modem--Main Code does it display 5.2.8

5) Does the connection manager indicate the modems are in boot mode.

Bob
Compaq NA CSC
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

1) Are these quad or octal modems?

Octal

2) What stat does the Compaq Manager say they are in? (Idle, Busy or Boot)
3) Can he direct connect and issue commands to the modem through the Compaq Manager?
4) Under the Compaq Manager --View--Modem--Main Code does it display 5.2.8
5) Does the connection manager indicate the modems are in boot mode.

I run Linux systems and am connecting through a DTE Cable and a comm program individually through each modem. The first half I was able to issue AT commands etc and each upgrade went smoothly. I was put on another project halfway through and I did not even touch anything during the time I was away. When I sat down and connected to the next modem in line (which had been hooked up and ready to go since I stopped) I could not issue and AT commands or get any type of echo back on what I was typing in.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Forgot to add I do not have access to the Compaq Manager as it is Windows based unless you have a version for Linux that I can use, I can't answer the other questions.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Case # C010705-549

The COMPAQ Manager software is only used to setup, monitor and control the CM 4000 box. Provides graphical displays and controls programming the modems and performing the upgrades all through the serial line port of the CM 4000.

However, if you are not doing this, then are able to communicate with each modem using some form of a terminal emulatorl?

To verify each modems capability to react correctly, issue the command to one of the failed modems: AT^V

If normal, it should return someting of the form: Bootstrap Version x.y
If only the main code is defective, you should see the message: Boot OK. Which means it may then be reprogrammed.

If you get neither message, then what technique or method was used to upgrade the firmware using a LINUX?

There are restrictions that the data stream for each upload must contain ONLY the data in the firmware file, as it is transferred directly into the chips. Any other embedded characters (xon / xoff flow control, translation, timing delays etc. will all cause problems.)

Bob
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I loaded a Windows Machine and the Compaq Manager and upgraded all but three modems. Three of the modems are still in boot mode. When I look at the modem properties the boot code shows as 2.0.5 (Is this the most current version of the boot code?) and the Main code shows as 255.255.255. When I try to do a Firmware Upgrade I get the following in the Message Log:

Initializing...
Upgrade Started.
8K burned.
16K burned.
Modem 1F failed: cannot find the S record.

All selected modems failed!

Initializing...
Upgrade Started.
8K burned.
Modem 2B failed while sending a packet.

Initializing...
Upgrade Started.
8K burned.
Modem 4G failed while sending a packet.

I cannot do a DC connect as the only option available on right click is RESET.

Any advice on where to go from here.

Thanks
George
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

George,

Here 's a pointer to a manual version of doing a CM4000 firmware upgrade.

http://www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/techtips/Microcom4000_flash.html

What is the part number and serial number of some of the modem cards seem to be failing the upgrade?

Also, in your last message you mentioned attempting a DC Connect. If your not using COMPAQ Manager, how were you attempting a DC Connect??

If might be best at this point to email us directly at:
microcom-support@compaq.com

Are you located anywhere in the North America, East Coast Time Zone, m-f 9 am to 5 pm ? Call us at: 800-652-6672, then select the following menu options: 2, 3, 1 then 1851 and provice this call number: C010705-549

Bob
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

This discussion has been taken off line to improve the efficiency of the discussion.

Bob E
COMPAQ NA CSC