Communications and Wireless
1752772 Members
4911 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Wireless won't turn on

DRB

Wireless won't turn on

I've been using my hp pavilion zv6000 for over a year now connecting to a wireless network with the built in card. I finally invested in an external hard drive to back my data up on and while backing up I disabled the wireless assistant via right clicking the wireless assistant icon in the notification area of the task bar. When I rebooted my computer I could not turn the wireless back on. Pushing the button on the keyboard doesn't work and the icon is no longer there. I tried the repair option available when right clicking on the wireless network connection icon in the network connections window and that wasn't able to turn it on either. Anybody know what might have happened?
Thanks!
54 REPLIES 54
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Hi DRB

Surely there is a program concerning wireless connection! What OS are you using?

In XP, you can instruct Windows to manage wireless networks by selecting My network places properties, and then the properties of the wireless connection, second tab.

I'm assuming that your wireless card shows up in device manager.

Good luck.
Jorge
DRB

I'm using XP and I do see my wireless card in the device manager and I've looked at the properties of the connection and everything looks fine and I've tried disabling and reenabling it, but nothing works. I even found the HP wireless assistant program (same program I used to disable it) and tried running it, but nothing happens.
g33k
Valued Contributor

Try to reinstall drivers for that device...
Sometimes it helps(I don't know why but some it did, maybe because it's windows;-)
akl
Occasional Advisor

See this thread here:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1104931&admit=-682735245+1185052855628+28353475

For me the following works:

1. You run into the "wireless is gone" situation, e.g. after automatic Standby.
2. Now disable WLAN manually (switch off using the WiFi button).
3. Force Standby (close the case and wait until all lights after off, which may take some seconds).
4. Switch on the WLAN button again.
5. Afterwards (not before) open the case again and press some button in order to wake up the notebook again.

WLAN will be back.
Regis Wyluda

Unfortunately, I├в m joining the disappearing wireless card club being that I├в m experiencing many of the same symptoms identified on this forum. I have a dv6000 that is about 13 months (purchased in Sep of 06), so I├в m out of warrantee and obliviously screwed.

Since the end of June 2007, I├в ve had nothing but problems with this laptop. First, the video started failing. Long story short, I sent it in to HP for service. Two weeks later I received the device back with a resolution that the motherboard was replaced ├в due to excessive heat. When I received the machine back from HP and booted it up, I experienced the same symptoms (as if tech support did nothing ├в fix or test). I called back HP and had the machine returned to the service center for repair. Three weeks and several phone calls latter, I received the device back stating that the memory was replaced. Booted up the machine and the machine would freeze after ~60 minutes of use. After going through the basic troubleshooting process with the Technician yet again, I was eventually was able to convince HP to take back the machine. Three weeks later, I received the machine back stating that the processor was replaced. The machine worked fine up until this past weekend (10/28) when the wireless card disappeared.

When I called HP regarding this, they responded that I was out of warrantee. Bye├в ┬ж..

Thanks HP!
Andrew Plotner

Great. I've been researching this same issue, now I feel hopeless. I got it to work once by restoring to a previous time. The second time it happened this no longer worked. Then I got it to work by resetting defaults in the setup utility. Again, this only worked once & had problems with the browser that time. Now I can't get it to work at all. I've downloaded new drivers & HP wireless assistant, but it still won't run. I too just ran out of warranty - should've known to extend it when the hard-drive crashed a few months back. How come no problems show in the diagnostics or device manager? And how come I can't find anything on HP troubleshooting about it? It is obviously and issue and HP needs to figure this out!

Hello everyone. A group of us are working on a solution, and would greatly appreciate your help! Please, just take a moment to send the following information to hp.consumers@gmail.com :

- Your name
- Your location
- Your model
- Your problem
- Your experience with HP so far in finding a solution

Every letter is greatly appreciated, and helps us to help you! You will receive a reply within only a short while with some more information on what is being done to find a solution. Thank you very much for your help.
sljamka

Chacho Rodriguez which part of this conversation you did not understand. What every bit of information will help to you HP guys. Why HP do not confirm that HP product ( nootebuks)have some major problem, and resolve them- simply stop sell them and reimburse to your customers. Thank you.
Guido Sala

I have just incountered the same problem a few days ago also. It's as if the wireless was never there! Tried to update drivers, etc, etc. Oh, model is V6305. The switch at the front left slides left or right, orange light stays on but no wireless icon. Connect via cable from router, no problems, just no wireless connection. Can't even open the wireless from the control panel....can anyone one help?