Communications and Wireless
1748027 Members
4934 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Wireless won't turn on

John W Carr

I have a Presario F560 EM running Vista. My wireless has also stopped, the light stays red and the Wireless Assistant won't start.
I've updated the BIOS and reinstalled the driver but it's still broken.
It had been working OK for about 8 months but we've moved abroad and I'm not going to put it in the post.
It works OK with an Ethernet cable. I may buy a USB wireless adapter but I'm not so sure about buying another Compaq.

Swordfish_1

You can try flashing the BIOS using winflash.
Flashing your BIOS to the latest release is crucial because it enhances your system's capabilities and helps it to detect newer devices and components. Very often in the latest BIOS flashes manufacturers apply a series of bug fixes.

Go to http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html, select your PC specification and the winflash that suits ur processor and O.S.
It worked for me!!
John W Carr

That link doesn't work Swordfish. Besides I tried reloading the BIOS and it's still broken.
It has worked twice in the last few months for a short time after a reboot but it's not consistent so I doubt that it's software, I think the card itself is faulty.
I'm now using a D-Link USB adapter which works fine. The rest of the machine seems OK too touch wood....
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>John: That link doesn't work Swordfish.

Unfortunately that link included a trailing comma. Try this one:
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
mike stephens_3

I tried WinFlashing, and reinstalling the Broadcom drivers, and still no joy...
John W Carr

I updated to BIOS version F.1F when the problem first happened and it made no difference. This thread is going round in circles and just wastes everbody's time
Someone from HP must know what's going on, what's the point of them hosting this forum?
My advice would be just to get a USB adapter.
hiln

The (intrnal)wireless assistant is broken. Hook up an external wirless router ,like net gear,(best buy) and you will be good to go again! That is what I did. Nothing else works- no need to do a system restore or anything else. HP has a bad internal wireless router that is not good for longer then a year. Most external routers are plug and play. Hook up their wireless box to your internet modem and plug in the jump drive (external wireless router) into you laptop. Install drivers and you will be up an running in 5 minutes.
JohnWCarr

My Compaq Presario has now failed completely and just 18 months old. Pressing the start button just causes the optical drive to click once and that's it. So 6 months without the wireless and now after 18 months it's all junk.

I'd say that the faulty wireless card is just a symptom of the machine's general poor build quality.

I liked my Presario but I won't be buying any more Compaq equipment.
R. Shank

Same here! Wireless worked for a couple months and now it won't do a thing. I have an hp pavilion dv9000 and I love it except for this problem. As some of the others have suggested i think it is a problem with the card itself and not the software. I've reinstalled hp wireless assistant which still won't open, uptaded my drivers and BIOS. Nothing helps.
Jeff Kirker

Deja vu. Same symtoms on a Pavilion dv9000. Drivers are there, system says it is working. Tried disabling and enabled, rebooted, restored. Wireless assistant won't run and system can't see any networks. Not happy.