Communications and Wireless
1753535 Members
6992 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

3COM 8760 software gui

earl919

3COM 8760 software gui

I've owned this access point for years but unfortantely turned in my PC back to my last company.  It had the software on it that would manage this device.  Can anyone help me with the link on what software I now need to reprogram my AP for my network.  I had a power failure last night and had to hard reset my 8760.

1 REPLY 1
David_Wood
Occasional Visitor

Re: 3COM 8760 software gui

By now I suspect that you've either solved this or have thrown the AP away in disgust.

The 8760 needs no special software - just a web browser (try both HTTP and HTTPS; one may be disabled). If you don't know the IP address, check your DHCP server. If you're still having no luck, try telnet or SSH. The final option is to connect to the serial port - the default setting is 9600,8,n,1.

I'm here because I was trying to resolve the periodic 'connected but no forwarding' issues with my 8760s. I've upgraded them to 2.2.33 from 2.2.19 - I hadn't realised there had been any new firmware after HP took over 3Com - and have enabled Proxy ARP. If that doesn't fix the problem, it's time to retire these old APs and likely replace them with HP MSM 460 or Cisco Aironet 2602i. As we now have an 80Mbit Internet connection and all the LAN ports here support gigabit, the ~24Mbit maximum real-life throughput of 802.11a and 802.11g via the old 8760s is looking rather dated.

I do have some devices with 802.11n 3x3 cards - indeed, I only have two non-802.11n wireless clients left in use. One of these clients is on the verge of retirement and the other should only need a cheap mini-PCI card to upgrade.

There again, if I can hang on for a few more months before upgrading, the first business grade 802.11ac APs should be available - I'd rather future-proof as much as possible.