108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP J8130A Wireless Access POint 420

SOLVED
Go to solution
partex

HP J8130A Wireless Access POint 420

I was wondering if someone could provide answers to the following questions:

1. I have a client running Firmware Version 2.1.5, what is the current firmware version and where can I download it from? Also, can the 2.1.5 firmware be downgraded to an earlier version if necessary?

2. If the Boot ROM version is 3.0.6, will it also need to be updated? If so, is there a procedure on HP's website to follow?

3. Where is a procedure for step by step updating of the firmware? Can it be done within the interface of the access point (web) or will I need to use a TFTP server?

Thanks for any answers you can provide on this matter.
4 REPLIES 4
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP J8130A Wireless Access POint 420

Hi

1. Current Firmware version is 2.1.5 , and to download it:
http://66.35.221.171/WNDNames/software/standard_license_information.asp?fileName=http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/wap420_Download7.htm

2.No need to upgrade the Boot Room, If Currently Running v2.0.x, a Boot ROM Update is Required only.

3. You can upgrade by WEB interface which is easy, or you can use the CLI.

For WEB: Open your internet explorer, type the IP for your Acsess Point i.e 192.168.1.20 ,
login to Web Interface, then click on Software Upgrade on the Administration tab, you can use here multiple ways, but the easy way is just click browse, then select the file (name is hp420-2150.bin for ver 2.1.5), then upgrade.

You need to reboot, if you scroll down there is a reboot button.

For CLI: use hyper terminal and connect by console cable or establish a telnet session, use the command : copy tftp file , you will see a menu, select option 1, then enter the name of the file, then TFTP IP address.

Don;t forget to assign points.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
partex

Thanks, I will test this out today. I did notice from the release notes on version 2.1.5 the update procedure states that it is done via TFTP. (see below)

Anyway, once it is completed, I will come back and reward points. Thank you for the information, it was very helpful.

From: http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/j8130215.htm it states:

If you are running v2.1.x software, you only need to install the new software. See "Update Procedure for v2.1.x Software" in the release notes. ::My customer is running 2.1.0

-------------------------------------
From the release notes:
Update Procedure for v2.1.x Software
TFTP Download from a Server

partex

Upgraded firmware today by setting up a quick free TFTP server and using the TFTP client on the HP AP 420. All went fine. Now we will see if it fixes a problem with my client's XP clients re-authenticating over WPA.

Also, I noticed you could browse for the firmware as you stated earlier, but if that is the case, HP needs to update their v2.1.5 release notes to include that as a valid option. In the readme for the firmware, it listed TFTP as the recommended approach.

Anyway, it was much more challenging to take the TFTP route.

vukko

Hi, I know this is a very old post but I am unable to find the 2.1.5 software on HP or elsewhere.

Is somebody able to help me out?