1753774 Members
6938 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Linksys Wirelss-B Broadband Router

Carole Hare
Advisor

Linksys Wirelss-B Broadband Router

After almost an hour with a tech from Africa, (difficult to understand) my Win XP Computer finally did connect with my Win XP Laptop.
However, I have lost the connection and cannot get connected to the wireless network again. I have probably made the problem worst by trying too many things to make it work.
My current Network Connections show: Local Area Connection 2 - LAN or Hi Speed Internet - Connected - Device - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter.
The laptop Network Connections show:
#1 Connection 2 - Acquiring address - Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN.
#2 1394 Connection - connected 1394 Net Adapter.
#3 Local area connection Network Cable unplugged Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC.
At different times I have gotten Error 678 and Error 769. Now when I go to "Choose a wireless network" on the laptop I see: link_SES_57938 Acquiring Network Address. It also shows: rabbitw Automatic.
I am online with my main computer but when I attempt to go online with the laptop I get "i.e. redirect.hp.com could not be found". I have tried too many times and am about ready to give up. Can someone help me?
2 REPLIES 2
Chad Miller_5
Trusted Contributor

DSL or cable?

If DSL, you generally get an all in 1 bridge/router/hub device. From that, it connects to your Linksys router, then to your computer. You should always use RJ-45 CAT 5 cables to connect these, USB connections can be flakey.
The DSL router can be configured to broadcast a DHCP address, which is easiest and preferred. Every device in your network down the line should be configured to accept an IP address automatically. If you set IP addresses manually on any device, you really need to know what you're doing, so I won't go into detail here.

If cable, generally you would set the Linksys router to DHCP also and it will receive a DHCP from the cable network. The modem you get for cable generally does not have DHCP built into itself -it's a pass through device, rather the IP configuration comes from the cable company├в s central computer network.

Ignore connections #2 and #3 on the laptop. You're only concerned with #1 wireless connection.

On the Linksys router, open it up at first security-wise, get your connection working, then work on securing it with WEP or WPA.
Select to broadcast your SSID. Name it something simple at first like "home".
Choose default channels (usually 6) and disable WEP.

On the laptop, depending on the wireless PCMCIA card you have (I am assuming it's PCMCIA) sometimes management software comes with them, if not, you use the windows wireless management interface. Either way, delete any connection you have and start over. Go into the advanced menus and make sure you don't have a bunch of pre-misconfigured wireless connections. If you do, delete them and start from scratch.

Create your new wireless connection...

Once you think your connected, on the laptop go to a command prompt and type ipconfig /all

You should see listed under your wireless adapter an IP address, a subnet mask, and a default gateway at the very least. If not, type ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew and wait 1 min, then type ipconfig /all again.

The default gateway should be the address of the Linksys router. (Usually 192.168.0.1) and I believe the first address it gives connected devices is 192.168.1.100, but this is from memory, my numbers could be off a bit.

This should get you started.

Chad
Carole Hare
Advisor

After much aggravation and time spent with another Linsys Tech, I have been advised that my cable, my linksys and my network are all working correctly. The problem is with the adapter in my new laptop. I have been advised that I should contact HP as I need an upgraded driver.