1753781 Members
7500 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Question about Wireless and VLAN's

Stephen_107
Occasional Contributor

Question about Wireless and VLAN's

We have one HP Procurve Wireless AP 420 and currently it is configured to allow client computers that we setup to connect to the MS VLAN and access servers, internet, printers, or any other device on the network.  We are going to be allowing public to use this area and want to restrict their access to only allow them to use the internet.  The access point connects to a HP Procurve Switch 2650 on port 2 and that connects to our core switch a HP Procurve Switch 5308xl from port 50 to port A9.  I already created a new VLAN called PUBWIFI but I am having trouble configuring the ports and the access point to actually work.  All of our internet traffic flows through a Fortigate 500A.  If anyone has any ideas how to make this work please let me know.

1 REPLY 1
tschaps
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about Wireless and VLAN's

first you need to test your public wireless VLAN with a computer plugged into a port set to that VLAN. Make sure the routing is set and you have no access to your regular network. 

Then you need to set up an SSID on the 420 with your new guest network name, any password encryption if applicable, and assigned to its VLAN. Then you need to set the port of the switch that the 420 plugs into to both VLANs, either both tagged, or one untagged, one tagged, easy to test which is working.

Here's the rub: the older APs are capable of multiple SSIDs set to different VLANs, but they can only broadcast one SSID. Either the guest VLAN or your main wireless network name is all people will see when scanning for a wireless network. This can suck, or maybe how you envisioned it. 

All newer equipment can show more than one SSID at a time, and that might be worth an upgrade. 

Good luck