4678 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrade Question

Larry Dougher
Occasional Contributor

Upgrade Question

Hello,

We currently are running a HP Wireless Edge Services Module in a 5304XL chassis with 11 200-series (dual band 802.11a/802.11b/g) radios.

At this point, and going forward, we have and will have many 802.11n devices which which to connect to our network. If I had to hazard a guess I would say that laptops we have on our network with 802.11n cards are the majority.

However, from what I understand, and I could be wrong, there are no dual-band 802.11n radios that will work with our Edge Services Module. I am really hoping that is not the case because I like our current setup and I would simply like to buy 11 new radios and just swap them out and adopt them.

If my information is correct, meaning that there are currently no dual-band 802.11n radios that will interface as easy as our 200-series radios, what are my upgrade options for 802.11n? Preferably, using the Edge Services Module or a VERY similar system.

Thanks in advance for your expertise,

Larry
1 REPLY 1
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

Re: Upgrade Question

There is no support for the 11n Radios on the edge services module. With the 5304xl you cant use any of the zl modules, but you would have to go into the MSM760. My understanding is that the Edge Services modules will be phased out in favor of a consolidated 3COM+Colubris = HP Networking product suite

If you just want to offer N connectivity to these capable clients, I would look at your network to determine if you really need N at this time.

Cheers, Trev.