Communications and Wireless
1753481 Members
4213 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Wireless PC Card Interference

Jake_32

Wireless PC Card Interference

When Using a wireless PC Card with my old Pavilion n5170 Notebook, I get a static noise through the speakers when the wireless card is active. I have disabled the sound and such, but it still makes the noise, any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Jake:

Assuming your in control of the wireless network, have you tried different wireless channels? or can you try different channels?

Try a different Wireless card?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

This was a known issue with the older Presario notebooks - I don't know if there is any similarity to the Pavilion you mention, but I'll provide the details so you can be aware of them.

On the Presario 1200 series, Compaq did not provide adequate RF shielding in the PC Card area, and this causes the transmit signal to be picked up by the audio circuitry. Since this happens after the volume and control circuits, disabling the audio or muting it has no effect on the static. Compaq released shield kits for the affected models that install between the PC Card socket and the system board to correct the problem.

As I said, I have no idea if the problem with your Pavilion stems from the same cause, but here are some things you can do - look into the PC Card slot though the door - if you can see the system board components, the shielding is inadequate.

Try reducing the transmit power on the card to see what effect this has on the static - I found that I could reduce the transmit power on my Xircom card from 30mW to 1mW and get rid of the noise - be aware that this will also reduce range.

You could also switch to a USB wireless adapter - assuming that the Pavilion supports USB, this will move the RF circuitry outside of the laptop, increasing the distance between it and the audio circuitry.