Communications and Wireless
1748235 Members
3251 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

nx8220 wireless connection problem

Annabel Jump

nx8220 wireless connection problem

I have a feeling I posted somewhere already but I can't find it...

So here we go again.

I just got this nice shiny new laptop, and I am very happy with it. Until I tried to connect to my home network. Apparently my newtork configuration has to be 40 or 104 bit encryption, but these seem to me to be the least used encryption rates. Whether they are or whether they aren't, my wireless access point only uses 64 or 128 bit encryption. So we have a problem.

There has to be a setting somewhere that I can change so that it accepts it?
Or do I have to send my lovely shiny new computer back?
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Chan_9
Frequent Advisor

Re: nx8220 wireless connection problem

Hi,

The WEP use 64-bit or 128-bit RC4 key, it include 40-bit or 104-bit of shared secret, and 24-bit IV. So 40/104 bit and 64/128 bit are the same things.

40-bit WEP use 5 alphameric characters or 10 hex digits as shared secret and 104-bit WEP use 13 alphameric characters or 26 hex digits.

Just set both of your AP and laptop use the same shared secret, your wireless LAN will work. But you'd better to have the utility program of your wireless card for setting this easier, or you have to choose Windows XP SP2 to handle you wireless connections.

regards
Steven Chan
LsuEdu
Regular Advisor

1. If you send your shiny new computer to me you will never have any more encryption problems.

2. If you have time to read this you can fix it yourself :: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/customize/default.mspx

The value of your life can only be judged by the good you do for other folks.
LsuEdu
Regular Advisor

Sorry, wrong URL on the 1st reply.

Can you look at this URL ::

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx

The value of your life can only be judged by the good you do for other folks.
Annabel Jump

Thank you both!

It is working now... so thank you!
Annabel Jump

Whoops.

I didn't realise this did this.

(You can tell I've never been here before...)