108807 Solutions
New Discussion

1950 Switch - NTP Client Not Synchronizing

SOLVED
Go to solution
three-oh-hate
Frequent Visitor

1950 Switch - NTP Client Not Synchronizing

I am trying to set up a new HPE OfficeConnect switch (JG963A). This is the first time I have used an HP switch.

I'm am trying to configure the switch to synchronize its clock with the NTP server on the firewall that the switch is connected to.

I am using the web interface and following the instructions in the user manual. Please see the attached screenshots. I am entering the IP address of the firewall in the 'IP Address' field and selecting 'Unicast Server' in the 'Source Mode' field. When I click the 'Apply' button, I get a message saying 'Configuration succeeded' but those two settings disappear. The clock remains unsynchronized.

When I look at the running configuration, I have the following settings relating to time:

clock timezone Brisbane add 10:00:00
clock protocol ntp
ntp-service enable
ntp-service source Vlan-interface1

There is nothing in the config about the NTP server ip address or NTP mode.

I have a linux box on the same network syncing with the NTP server on the firewall so I know the NTP server is working. I am logging in to the switch using the admin account with network-admin rights.

This problem seems to be the same as the unresolved issue reported by these two posts:

https://community.hpe.com/t5/Comware-Based/NTP-problem-with-a-JG963A/m-p/7057867#M12022

https://community.hpe.com/t5/Web-and-Unmanaged/HP-1950-JG961A-NTP/td-p/6925970

The CLI commands officially available on this model are very limited and do not cover NTP configuration. There is an extended CLI option but it is "not a supported feature for operation in customer networks". I thought I would check here before going down that path. You would assume that, if HP was going to make the web interface the only option, it would work.

NTP_Config_1.pngNTP_Config_2.pngNTP_Config_3.png

2 REPLIES 2
akg7
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: 1950 Switch - NTP Client Not Synchronizing

Hello,

Can you press '+' sign after giving IP address into 'stnchronize from time source'?

And if this IP is a part of any VLAN then add the VLAN as well into next tab.

Time.JPG

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
three-oh-hate
Frequent Visitor

Re: 1950 Switch - NTP Client Not Synchronizing

Thanks @akg7 , that solved the problem. The NTP client is synching now.

I have to say, in my view, that is really poor UI design. Users would naturally assume that they only need to press the '+' button if they want to add more than one NTP server.