cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 VLAN, 1 internet modem per VLAN and all talking

mexlg
Occasional Visitor

2 VLAN, 1 internet modem per VLAN and all talking

Hi, I have this issue,  i need to configure a LAN with 2 "dumbs" ADSL modems, separating the lan with 2 VLANs.

i have a 3Com 5500G Switch and two ADSL modems.  Ppl here wont buy me another equipment.

DESIRED CONFIG:

1. Each VLAN must be able to use the internet using its own modem link.

2. VLANs should communicate with each other.

VLAN 2 - 192.168.2.0 /24,  VLAN 2 interface 192.168.2.1, ADSL Modem 2 IP 192.168.2.250

VLAN 3 - 192.168.3.0 /24,  VLAN 3 interface 192.168.3.1, ADSL Modem 3 IP 192.168.3.250

I do understand PC on a VLAN should use the Vlan interface IP to communicate with other VLANS but how do i do to tell a VLAN to route internet traffic through a MODEM on the VLAN not through the vlan interface.

Ive done this at the switch but i dont know how to route internet traffic PER VLAN using a defined IP at that VLAN.

SETTING UP VLAN AND VLAN INTERFACE

vlan 2

int vlan2

ip address 192.168.2.1 24

quit

vlan 3

int vlan3

ip add 192.168.3.1 24

quit

SETTING UP PORTS UNTAGGED TO DESIRED VLAN :

For those at VLAN 2

int giga1/0/1

port link-ty hybrid

port hybrid vlan 2 untagged

For those at VLAN 3

int gi1/0/13

port link-ty hy

port hy vlan 3 un

Everything is fine here with PC configuring its Default Gateway with the IP of their VLAN interface, but what about internet link i CANT hit the internet.

Plz remember i have TWO Modems, one per VLAN.  MODEM 2 should connect VLAN 2, MODEM 3 should connect VLAN 3 to the internet.  

One modem serving two subnets its NOT an option.

While im writting this i could imagine a DENY ACL at the switch port where the modem plugs telling smt like this pseudo but i dont know that much to configure an ACL, too dumb YET:

@modem2 port: VLAN 3 TRAFFIC IS NOT ALLOWED @ 192.168.2.250,  VLAN 2 TRAFFIC COME IN

@modem3 port:  VLAN 2 TRAFFIC IS NOT ALLOWED @ 192.168.3.250,  VLAN 3 TRAFFIC COME IN

thanks...

The LG

2 REPLIES
ShaunHayward
Occasional Visitor

Re: 2 VLAN, 1 internet modem per VLAN and all talking

I have a problem very simlar to this - did you ever manage to get this sorted?

If so,.. how :D

cheers

jborg
Visitor

Re: 2 VLAN, 1 internet modem per VLAN and all talking

The solution would probably be to use VRF-Lite, i.e. one "ip vpn-instance" per VLAN. This is because you need a default gateway separately per VLAN, thus a separate routing table. This is a little more involved than just switching, but there are good examples of it in the documentation.