1752571 Members
5147 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2250 slow ping

James Gadbois
Occasional Contributor

2250 slow ping

I have the basline 2250 with version 1.1.0.15. Directly connected to the switch I get ping times (to the switches IP address)of 200ms, 80ms, etc. All bad.

I also have seen that when you reboot the switch ports come up as 10M when a 100M device is connected.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
kima

Hy!

Old thread, but same problem here...

Updated to FW: 1.1.0.15 but still got very bad times.

Any ideas or options I have to enable/disable?!

Greetings

kima

This message was edited by kima on 2-26-10 @ 1:55 AM
Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Sometimes we face this problem of speed negotiation in some switches. Don't waste your time: setup the ports at 100M/Full duplex, hardcoded. Unfortunately this is more usual as we think, and if the software upgrade does not solve the problem this is the only way.

Regarding the poor performance of ICMP tests, try to optimize the aging timer of the ARP table, reducing the timer to 90 or 120 seconds, if the switch supports this feature.

HTH

Regards,
Fred Mancen
James Gadbois
Occasional Contributor

I have a hard time putting band aids on obvious software/hardware problems like this.  I sure wish we had recalls for lemons like there are for Toyotas.  There is no excuse, in this day and age, for sloppy programming or hardware designs for simple problems like this.  There are plenty of other switches that have no trouble with auto-negotiation or weird ICMP issues.

I could probably make a toaster act like a switch if I tried hard enough.  Is it really too much to expect that when you buy a product that it can do simple things like ping and auto-negotiate?

Jim Gadbois

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

I understand your point of view, Jim. Actually you are right, but in the real world where we work these problems are very normal. Did you already tried to RMA this switch? Of course that this is not the best option, but what else can you do? I don't see no further actions.

Regards

Regards,
Fred Mancen
James Gadbois
Occasional Contributor

Fred,

This was one of three of the same model switches, one of which was RMAed due to a early failure.  As to the real world and not to belabor the point since I realize I'm beating a dead horse (3com, that is), I don't see these kind of problems with other switches (Cisco, for example, among others).

But I thank you for your comments and your optimism.  I was somehow, probably in a misguided way, hoping 3com would take notice and help.  I would hate to recount the horror I went  through in reporting this problem to tech support.  They had no clue, acted like I was the only one in the whole universe who ever experienced this problem (with all three switches), and that it was anything other than the 2250s.

Sigh!

Jim 

marcos
Advisor

I sadly must strongly agree with Jim. I expected the 3com support team to read (and maybe answer) the forum posts at least every now and then, but that does not seem to be the case at all. Although I liked 3com hardware until recently, this "self service" help system, which I strongly perceive as "leave us alone" help system, changed my mind. Apart from a few newbie questions, there has been a bunch of software bug reports in the past weeks, all left completely unanswered and unconfirmed by 3com. Even the forum software itself is buggy, throwing an error message upon the creation of every new thread, resulting in many double-posts. This problem has been known since quite some months, but obviously nobody cared to fix the bug.

To cut a long story short, I now understand why a lot of companies bite the bullet and buy more expensive brands. Too bad, I really liked 3com.