3597 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3 COM Network Switch Upgradation

vipin1
Occasional Contributor

3 COM Network Switch Upgradation

Hi Friends,

i want to upgrade the existing 3 COM Network Switch to any latest HP Switch.Any one suggest which model should i go with.PLCs and HMIs of Steel Rolling Mill is connected to this Network Switch

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Comware-Based. - Hp Forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
EricAtHP
Esteemed Contributor

There are a lot of choices. Start with the Swich Selector. It looks like you need fiber connectivity. Use the Predominant Port Type and Uplink Speed / Media fields to select the type of fiber you need.

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/networking/products/switches/selector/index.aspx

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

My first suggestion would be an HP Procurve 5406 with a copper module, and an SFP module.

You have plenty of space in your rack, and this modular switch is very good value and very flexible - if they ever change the controllers on the machinery, add new, different machinery, or add any management stations, it's easy to add different ports into the 5406 chassis, so this option provides the best possible insurance against future changes and growth.

2. A stack of HP Procurve 3800-24G + 3800-24SFP

Saves rackspace, but probably too many wasted ports. Worth comparing the price just to see. These are great Procurve switches.

3. HP5800-48G with 2 slots, + an SFP module. 
Saves rackspace (which is probably no benefit to you) but you have lots of wasted Gb copper ports. Plus it's a 3COM switch, not a Procurve.

4. HP5800-24G-SFP with a Gb copper module.
This is all the ports you need in a single RU, but again it's a 3Com switch.

5. HP5500-24G-SFP with a few copper SFPs to make up for only having 8 fixed copper ports. You probably need 100Mb copper SFPs, I guess. 
Nice compact solution, but 3Com.

6. HP5500-24G-SFP with a few copper SFPs.
Compact, but less ports than the 5500 so less flexible for any growth, and it's 3Com.

Compare prices on the above, but also check whether you need any 10Gb ports, PoE or any other features.
Assuming nothing is much, much cheaper than the top solution, go with the top one.

vipin1
Occasional Contributor

vipin1
Occasional Contributor

I am attaching further details for this.The Old Network Switch is 3 COM  7754 with Model No 3c16894 Rev AA.What will be the equivalent HP make Network Switch  

sdide
Respected Contributor

Hi vipin1

From what i can see - you have:

3C16894, Switch 7754 4-slot Chassis Kit w/out Fabric
3C16872, SWITCH 7700 4-SLOT FABRIC,32G
3C16862, SWITCH 7700, 20 PORT, 1000BASE-X, SFP
3C16863, Switch 7700 20 1000Base-T

From the pictures it seems that:

you use:

- 9 Gigabit SFP interfaces

- 12 Gigabit RJ45 cobber interfaces.

- you seem have enough rackspace.

- The 7750-series runs - as far as i can see - a Comware 3 based OS, for configuration-continuity reasons, I have not included Procurve products.

I'm not entirely sure what feature-set the 7754 with the 3C16872 FABRIC boast. Neither do i know what features you use.

Disregarding feature sets (which is of course somewhat misleading) - I'll make a few suggestions:

1: 1RU Comware 5 solution:

HP-5800-24G-SFP with  HP 5800 16-port Gig-T Module

Gives you 24 SFP ports, 16 RJ45 cobber ports, and 4 10G SFP+ ports.  (note only 16 cobber ports)

2: HP 7502 (4 RU) og HP 7503 (10 RU) Switch Chassis with suiting modules and fabric. (Comware 5)

These solutions are modular, probably a bit on the expensive side - but seems to be in line with what you already got.

Lots of different options for linecards on these models.

3: IRF Stack of smaller switches. (HP 5500 Comware 5, HP5130 Comware 7, ... ) choosing a mix within each line that suits your interface needs.  

Regards

Søren Dideriksen, Network Administrator
Region Midtjylland
vipin1
Occasional Contributor

This is one offer i got.Is this suitable or not

sdide
Respected Contributor

Hi vipin1

I'm not suprised they suggest the 7500 platform. But the 6 slot chassis seems rather large (13 RU). Of course it prepares you for expansion, and all the modules of the 7500-series (7503,7506,7510) even the PSUs are the same (FAN module is not).

So if you have room in your rack for 13RUs the 7506 might not be a bad choice. They way its configured will seem very similar to the old 7750-series (they both run Comware). 

I rather not comment on the pricesetting.

PS: The 7500's support non-hp transcievers if you like. Some people have their own favorite brand of transceivers and also - there can be a substantial amount of money saved not buying from the switch-vendors. (You need to know what you're doing - if you take this path.)

Regards

Søren Dideriksen, Network Administrator
Region Midtjylland