108788 Solutions
New Discussion

3Com 4800G and optical fiber

ruby_1
Occasional Contributor

3Com 4800G and optical fiber

Hi,

On both switches :

- the trunk port is configured to transmit untagged frames on Vlan1 and tagged frames on Vlan2.

- the IP address and the netmask (/24) are assigned to the interface.

- the link light is become green.

- from interface management, the link is detected (Dark gray : SX SFP, Status: Active, Utilization: 0%).

Side switch A, the trunk port (GigabitEthernet1/0/1) is configured like this :

port: GigabitEthernet1/0/1

Input (total): 51794 packets, 5776164 bytes, 19260 broadcasts, 3290 multicasts

Input: 0 input errors, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles ...

Output (total): 78981 packets, 10607385 bytes, 40796 broadcasts, 36643 multicasts, 0 pauses

In the hyperterminal session, I'm able to sucessfully ping and connect to all devices behind switch A.

Side switch B, the trunk port is configured like this :

In the hyperterminal session, I'm able to sucessfully ping and connect to all devices behind switch B.

The problem :

switch A can't ping switch B and switch B can't ping switch A.

How can I fix it ?

Is the optical fiber broken ?

Thanks in advance for any help

This message was edited by ruby on 8-29-10 @ 4:37 AM
1 REPLY 1
Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Re: 3Com 4800G and optical fiber

Probably you are using one of these switches as the core switch, right? So you have to set up a default route in the edge switch to the core switch. Example:

If the SFP switch is the core switch and have the IP address 10.1.1.1/24 (VLAN 1); and the edge switch have the IP address 10.1.1.2/24 (also in VLAN 1), so you have to configure the following default route at the edge switch:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.1

As the switches have more than one VLAN, it needs to know the next hop to deliver traffic requests. In this case the next hop is the core switch (I suppose that is the SFP switch). As your network grows, with more switches included in the environment, each one of these new switches needs to have a default route also, always indicating that the next hop is the core switch.

HTH

Regards,
Fred Mancen