1753406 Members
7401 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3Com SuperStack Bandwidth monitoring

niksoftware
Occasional Contributor

3Com SuperStack Bandwidth monitoring

Hi we have 2 stacks of "Switch 4400 SE" a 8x stack and a 4x stack. (100mb)

Software Version 2.20
Hardware Version 05.02.00

The big stack is connected to the small stack via a 4x aggregated link.

How can I monitor the inter-switch link (or any particular port) to see how often it reaches saturation?

I can see the port statistics through the web admin GUI but they are cumulative numbers?

4 REPLIES 4
Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Hi, you can download and use the 3Com Network Director to monitor the link and see what is the bandwidth utilization; even customize the thresholds to generate alarms. You can download an evaluation version here (60 days trial version):

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/3nd_trial.html

At first you need to discover your network using the SNMP communities you have configured on these devices; so after start the monitor, you can perform a right-click on the link which you want to monitor. It will appears two options: Historical Reports and Live Graphs. The Historical Report requires at least 2 or 3 days collecting statistics to show something; the Live Graphs shows the real time performance, when you right-click over the Ethernet Utilization area and choose the Detailed Graphs.

Regarding the statistics on the GUI are cumulative since the last reset on the port.

HTH

This message was edited by Fred_Mancen on 11-19-09 @ 11:13 AM
Regards,
Fred Mancen
niksoftware
Occasional Contributor

How would I go about finding out the snmp details? communty etc. I believe these support v3 and v1 snmp but I do not know a lot about this protocol as my expertise are in windows networking not physical networking however I am now in charge of deciding if replacing 12 switches or 45 PC's would make a greater affect upon the end user.

Can I get the snmp details from the web GUI or another way? As the person who installed them has long left the company and only 1 other person would even understand the term snmp(The Oracle DBA lol)

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

You can look what is the SNMP communities in the switch configuration. If you access the switch through telnet or console, you can check these settings in the system view. I don't know what is the model of your switch, but in the Super Stack you can see the switch settings using CLI or menu, ok? Most of all models has the browser console also, where you could figure out the SNMP settings. In the other hand, you can use the default communities (if no one person has changed it before):

Read-only community: public

Read-and-write community: private

HTH

This message was edited by Fred_Mancen on 11-23-09 @ 6:38 AM
Regards,
Fred Mancen
niksoftware
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I found anyway that they are default in the 3com Network Director