Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4210 link aggregation issues

guilherme_msi
Occasional Contributor

4210 link aggregation issues

Hi all,

How many link aggregation groups does the 4210 26-port actually supports?

I'm trying to set up a 4210 26-port switch with 3 link aggregation groups, each group has 2 member interfaces only. The problem is that the 3rd group won't ever have both ports as "Selected" in the aggregation group. See output below:

Aggregation ID: 2,  AggregationType: Manual,   Loadsharing Type: NonS

Aggregation Description:

System ID: 0x8000, 0024-7346-6f10

Port Status: S -- Selected,  U -- Unselected

Local:

Port                     Status  Priority  Key    Flag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ethernet1/0/2             S       32768     1      {}

Ethernet1/0/14           U       32768     1      {}

The weird thing is that if I shutdown any interface of any other aggregation group, this interface 1/0/14 will become Selected !!

Why does this happen if in the 4210 26-port datasheet it says the device will support 3 aggregation groups?

I hope someone can help because it's really confusing...

Thanks in advice

Guilherme

1 REPLY
etokto
Occasional Contributor

Re: 4210 link aggregation issues

I think there are limits in the switch hardware:

Configuration Guide told us:

"The system sets the ports unable to aggregate with the master port (due to some hardware limit) to unselected state."

and

"Depending on whether or not load sharing is implemented, aggregation groups can be load-sharing or non-load-sharing aggregation groups. When load sharing is implemented, the system will implement load-sharing based on source MAC address and destination MAC address.

In general, the system only provides limited load-sharing aggregation resources, so the system needs to reasonably allocate the resources among different aggregation groups.

The system always allocates hardware aggregation resources to the aggregation groups with higher priorities. When load-sharing aggregation resources are used up by existing aggregation groups, newly-created aggregation groups will be non-load-sharing "