5733 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

4400se Superstack 3 issues

rucifa
Occasional Contributor

4400se Superstack 3 issues

Hi,

I recently bought 3 4400se Superstack 3 switches from an auction house.

I downloaded the manual and have been trying to access the setup of the switches. I've tried 169.254.100.100/16 with my PC configured to 169.254.100.99/16 as per the manual. I'm guessing that the previous owner set up a static IP address on the switch so this would be why I can't access the interface this way.

I have tried to get in via serial connection with the settings again supplied in the manual using PuTTY but I never get to the login screen. I just get a blank console screen that is non-responsive. I have tried this on all three of the switches and no joy. I was going to try and download the net detector but figured if I don't know what ip range the switch is in I've got no chance of getting it to work.

Is there by some chance another way to reset the switch, maybe something inside the case? or is there some other tricks I need to try to get PuTTY to work?

2 REPLIES 2
Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Re: 4400se Superstack 3 issues

Did you tried to boot the switch already connected to the console, and press the CTRL+B to break the boot sequence? The 3Com switches has a start menu that provides the option to reset the switch to the factory defaults.

HTH

Regards,
Fred Mancen
rucifa
Occasional Contributor

Re: 4400se Superstack 3 issues

Thanks for the Ctrl+B tip, I'll try it out when I get a chance.

I decided to connect the switch to my network and see if it would pick up an address via DHCP, which it did. I'm not sure why I couldn't connect to it using 169.254.100.100 as per the manual  when it was just on a standalone network with no DHCP maybe something in the security settings.

The previous owner has changed the default admin password but luckily hadn't changed the password for the manager account from the default, so I am at least able to configure most things and have got it up and running how I would like.

Cheers