3983 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 4500G Stack

mchaves_1
Occasional Contributor

4500G Stack

Hi!

I am trying to create a stack with 3 Switch 4500G 48 Ports (3CR17762-91) using the 2-Port 10-Gigabit Local Connection Module (3C17767) but with no success.

I can´t find a way to change the port configuration to Stack mode.

I allready updated the equipment firmware.

10 REPLIES 10
Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Hi.

The 4500G does support a clustered stacking, where you need to define a master switch, and all the others will be slave switches. From the master console you will be prompted to the slave switches console since you issue the command "stack switch-to <member-id> ". You have to setup the ports as stack ports, assign an IP address to the stack; this IP address will be automatically assigned to VLAN interface 1, the slave switches will obtain its IP addresses using DHCP requests to the master. If you have VLANs in the switch, you need to setup the stack ports as trunk ports, using its PVIDs and each switch has its own configurations, you have to configure each switch as you needs. If you don't specify the trunk PVID in stack port configurations, the DHCP requests will not be forwarded, as the VLAN IDs in access ports. The stack behavior is like a cluster, not a XRN stack, so you have to configure each switch every time you want to change the settings. I suggest you to name each switch as its unit in the stack, because every time the stack came up each switch assume the first ID that is free, not the previous ID. To configure the stack feature, follow this script:

Assigning an IP address to the stack (in master switch):

stack ip-pool

Setting the ten gigabit ports as stack ports:

stack stack-port 1 port tenGigabitEthernet 1/1/1 tenGigabitEthernet 1/1/2

Assign the master switch:

stack role master

In the slave switches, you just need to setup the stack ports; the stack will came up after this procedure. To check the stack status, type the command "display stack members". Remember that the switches will use the VLAN interface 1 to manage and maintain the stack, do not delete it or change the IP address of a slave switch to a different segment from the master. If you want, you can assign fixed IP addresses in the slave switches, since this addresses belongs to the same segment and assigned to the VLAN interface 1.

HTH.

This message was edited by Fred_Mancen on 11-27-09 @ 5:36 AM
Regards,
Fred Mancen
Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

I almost forgot to tell you something important: the 4500G does not support distributed link aggregation.

Regards,
Fred Mancen
mchaves_1
Occasional Contributor

I made the settings that you indicate and sucessfull created the Stack.

The first switch have in the display the leter C and the others too have the letter S.

My problem now is that can not ping the Stack IP using the command promt and also  can´t access the web interface.

The only access to the switch´s is throught the Console Port.

Is this normal ? I have a 4 unit stack on my old SuperStack II 3300 and did not have these problems configurating it and access it.

Should i just use the clusted option the Web Interface ?

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Good to hear from you that is all ok. Let's go to your questions:

The first switch have in the display the leter C and the others too have the letter S.

Correct. The master switch shows in its display the letter C; the slaves shows the letter S.

My problem now is that can not ping the Stack IP using the command promt and also  can´t access the web interface.

Which IP are you trying to ping? Remember that the IP address of the stack is assigned to the VLAN 1 interface and is only for the stack management purposes, this IP does not answer to ICMP requests from the network. The stack will use this IP to maintain the stack in operational status. Through the web console you can access the stack, but you have to reach an IP address assigned to another VLAN interface created in the whole stack - you need to create the same VLAN settings on the switches that belongs to the stack.

The only access to the switch´s is throught the Console Port.

Ok, this is related to what I wrote above. When you create a VLAN interface and assign an IP address to it you will be able to open the web console using this IP address.

Is this normal ? I have a 4 unit stack on my old SuperStack II 3300 and did not have these problems configurating it and access it.

Unfortunately, this is normal. The Device Manager (3com management software) cannot manage the stack as well. Actually the 4500G acts like a cluster, the advantage from a cluster is the faster convergence and some benefits when stacked.

Should i just use the clusted option the Web Interface ?

I don't use the web interface; I don't like it. I always use the SSH or telnet connections to manage the stack, and when I need to configure a slave switch all I have to do is enter that command:"stack switch-id to <member_id>.

HTH

Regards,
Fred Mancen
mchaves_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi!

I have succefull created a new cluster with my 3 switches. I have master and 2 slaves.

My problem now is that VLan´s created on the master switch are not replicated to the slaves.

Maybe it´s my miss understanding but i was under the impression that once the cluster is created, all switches are managed as one, and all configurations are made on the Master unit.

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Look to my second answer, where I wrote that you need to create the same VLAN settings on the switches that belongs to the stack. Every time you want to perform some configuration change you'll have to do it in each switch. The 4500G stack acts exactly like a cluster; keep this in mind.

You really don't have resources to manage the whole stack as a single entity.

Regards

Regards,
Fred Mancen
mchaves_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I created succeful the differents VLans in the 3 Switch's

but now i can not comunicate with other Vlans.

ex. Machines on VLan 2 can not access the internet router that is on VLan 1.

All Vlan´s have different IP segments (Vlan_1:192.168.1.0; Vlan_2: 192.168.2.0;...)

Thanks and Regards

Miguel

Fred_Mancen_1
Super Advisor

Right...probably you have to setup the stack ports as trunk ports too; it sounds weird, but it works. Follow the script:

interface ten1/1/1 (you need to setup all the stack ports in the same way)

port link-type trunk

port trunk permit vlan

port trunk pvid vlan <pvid_of_the_trunk>

If you are using DHCP Server, don't forget to configure the DHCP Relay function in the switches.

HTH

This message was edited by Fred_Mancen on 12-2-09 @ 1:11 PM
Regards,
Fred Mancen
mchaves_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi!

I can ping sucessfully between switches on the same Vlan but not between different Vlan´s

This happens even between VLans on the same Switch.

My problem now is that somehow routing between vlans is not working.

I have created the VLan´s and the VLan interfaces. Everywere i read is that once the VLan´s and interfaces are created it should work, but it´s not.

RIP is enabled.

Any ideas why routing between vlans is not working ?