108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 4800G: vlan routing with dhcp

hasseily

4800G: vlan routing with dhcp

Hello,

I have a 4800G with 2 VLANs:

VLAN 1 is the default VLAN with ip 10.17.1.5/16

VLAN 2 is a single-port VLAN with a DHCP client IP.

I would like to route everything that isn't in 10.17.0.0 through that single-port VLAN. I've gotten it to the point where VLAN 2 got the DHCP info, the default route is through that vlan 2, and there's a direct route on vlan 1.

But the switch just doesn't want to move packets from vlan 1 through vlan 2, whatever I try. And I can't give vlan 2 a secondary IP from vlan 1 as it has a DHCP IP that seems to prohibit secondary IPs.

Any solution out there?

Thanks in advance,

Henri.

5 REPLIES 5
jadielmota
Occasional Advisor

Dear Henri,

I am having some problems with a Microsoft AD/DHCP server and a switch 3com 4800g.

Did you resolve the problem you had? Since my problem is similar to yours, I would like

to ask you to share any idea you might have so that I can set up the infrastructure I need.

I attached an image of what I am trying to set up. Anything you can share would be helpful.

So, I have configured the IPs of the interfaces,

the default route and the relay on port 2. I have also set port 2 as trunk in order to have all traffic

from all other vlans go through it.

I am able to ping each individual interface with a host in the same network. Except the trunk interface (port 2).

I cannot reach any other interface but the one I am connected to and as a result I cannot get an IP address

from the AD.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share.

manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

Please post you configuraton of the switch, then we will help you.

br

Manuel

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
jadielmota
Occasional Advisor

Dear Manuel,

Thank you for trying to help.

I have copied the switch's current config to a txt file.

I have changed type of the interface Gigabitethernet 1/0/2 to access and now from it I can reach the DHCP Server. When, it was configured as trunk I could not.

I have created a Subnet Scope in the AD like this:

Subnet B

Initial IP: 10.7.32.20

Final IP: 10.7.39.254

Mask: 255.255.248.0

In the Scope Options, I have added a router with the IP address of the DHCP relay, in this case 10.7.32.1.

Now, what I need to find out is how to make vlans 3 and 4 to communicate with vlan 2, for the hosts to receive their

IP addresses.

So, do you know how to make vlans 3 and 4 to communicate with vlan 2? Do you think there is anything wrong with the

configs I have made so far?

Please, let me know what you think.

manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

Hi

Looks like a lab config. :-)

some question/hints to help:

• 10.7.1.6 is your dhcp server and is on port 1/0/2?
  • does the dhcp server have routs to vlan 3 and 4?
  • do the dhcp scope have the default gw to 10.7.32.1 resp. 10.7.16.1?
  • add dhcp relay to vlan 4
  • Where is your client connected?
  • Add static ip config to the client and check ip connectivity
  • what does "disp dhcp relay server-group 1" show you?

br

Manuel

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
jadielmota
Occasional Advisor

1. Yes, the IP address of the DHCP server is 10.7.1.6 and once I connect port 1/0/2 to the network I can ping the DHCP server from the console of the switch

2. I found a way to create a static route through the DHCP server. I am sending you a couple pictures showing you how I did it.

3. Yes, the scope 10.7.32.0/21 has the gw set up to 10.7.32.1 - I am trying to get this network to work first, If I can get it to work I will use the same technique for the 10.7.16.0/23 network

4. Once I can get the vlan 3 to work, yes I will add dhcp relay to it

5. My client is connected to vlan 3, with the static IP of 10.7.32.2

6. With the static IP I can only reach the interface 1/0/3 that has the 10.7.32.1 address, I cannot reach the others - route problem

7.Display dhcp relay server-group 1 shows me: No.1      Group IP 10.7.1.6

Please let me know what you think about the setup. I believe what I need to get the setup to work is a route between vlan 3 and vlan 2 in the switch. 

The default route is set to 10.7.1.20 which is the router in network 10.7.1.0, which the DHCP server belongs to. But, the two networks cannot communicate.

Thanks,

Jadiel