1748011 Members
3771 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 5130 firmware versions

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Strictly speaking DAC Cables go to SFP+ ports, not Copper ports...but, maybe, David can add more details with regard to his note above.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Morning!

The SFP+ ports are fine.  You can use DAC cables or 10gb fiber transceivers.  The issue is only with the built-in copper 10gb ports.

Glad to help! 

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
marcelkoedijk
Frequent Advisor

Iam running in problems with de 10GB-BaseT ports dont come online.

My Switch Model is JG941A 5130-EI

HPE Comware Software, Version 7.1.070, Release 3208

The problem seems dont fixed correct in 3208.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

To say the truth (with respect to what @VoIP-Buddy reported few posts above), reading the latest R3208 Release Note, no recent 10GBase-T ports related problem can be found (if it isn't reported it wasn't fixed nor exists a workaroud, if any) apart from one that was fixed with the old R3113P03 (201604091715) "Symptom: When a 10G Base-T port is connected to a specific device model, speed autonegotiation takes 20 to 30 seconds and the negotiation result can only be 1 Gbps."...that's to say that if an issue with 10G Base-T ports really exists actually on 5130 EI it should have been clearly reported (if fixed) on latest Release Notes (considering that each Release Notes document is made to report basically all the knowledge about a software release for the involved product)...or the information related to 10G Base-T ports issue comes from internal support and it's (still) not publicly available so it's not reported on any release notes.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Hi Parnassus!

Your comment about release notes is a black and white comment.  In this particular case, the Comware release notes are gray.  Not every issue is documented in the release notes.  For example, issues that are found in the normal QA process are not usually reported because they are caught earlier in the development cycle.

When we recommend to upgrade it is usually because the code that is running is so old that Engineering will not fix the code because it could have been corrected in a following newer release.

The other reason why we recommend upgrades is that if we read in the release notes that a particular feature has seen a number of fixes done to it, there is a chance that another issue in the related area could have also been fixed because all of the code had been touched to deal with the documented issues.  Sometimes that approach is successful and other times not.

In regards to why R32xx is better than the R31xx code is partly because of the guidance we get from Engineering.  Merges take place from the older code to a new code stream that most likely has other improvements and new features merged in as well.  It is a better starting point because that code would go through a rigorous QA cycle to verify the fuctionality.  Patch releases are a little easier while still rigorous, the scope and breadth of what needs to be verified is a bit less.

As for R3208 with the XGT ports.  I actually tested that in the lab and I know that to be a working build of the code.  If there are issues, then we would need to have a case to be able to try to reproduce that in the lab and then discuss with Engineering.  At this point, I'm not hearing about any issues with the 10g copper ports.

Regards,

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support