1751969 Members
4632 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 5700FF Comware - Voice Vlan ???

Twin_Turbo
Advisor

5700FF Comware - Voice Vlan ???

How do you specify a Voice Vlan on Comware 7?

It seems simple on Procurve just using "voice" on the vlan itself????

Cheers

Rob

5 REPLIES 5
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,

TL;DR - 5700 isn't the right switch for VOIP.

I am puzzled.

Firstly, I'm intrigued as to why you are thinking of plugging VOIP devices into a DC edge switch that doesn't have any PoE capability?

Secondly I don't *think* that the 5700 has voice vlan for the above reason. If it did it would be in the L2 config guide manual and would guide you through the global config piece (track lldp, use secure mode or don't) and the per-port config (choose a qos mode, use auto mode or not). The 5130ei L2 config guide manual is fairly comprehensive on this subject. Just checked the 5700 L2 manual and as I thought - no sign of voice vlan...

On a switch that doesn't support voice-vlan you can make something that approximates to it with either a MAC vlan (provided you have a consistent OUI range on your phones) or maybe do a RADIUS driven VLAN assignment. Even then you lose the intelligent setup of PoE through LLDP and the auto-ish QoS classification stuff.

Hmmm,

TBH I'd drop a switch with a more "campus focussed" feature-set between the phones / end devices and the 5700.

HTH

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Twin_Turbo
Advisor

The 5700's are our core with 54xxZL's hanging off them for the edge connectivity.

I want to ensure QOS between the phones is maintanied throughout the network.

Cheers

Rob

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy.

Ah OK, I see what you are looking to do now.

Firstly, just in case you didn't know "ping -Q 184 <dest-IP>" is an excellent test tool on a linux box for stuffing packets with tos markings onto the network (in the voice vlan) to test that ths qos queues are doing what they should be. You can watch the counters on queue 5 increment as traffic passes across it (assuming it is working).

I don't usually mess with remarking or creating policies unless i really need to if all the marking is done by the (trusted) edge devices.

The procurve / Aruba-OS boxes usually have 8 queues of which 10% min B/W is allocated to queue 5 where the "EF" traffic. gets put. You could set up the 5700 in the same way and use a combo of Priority queing with a minimum bandwidth (say 10%) of the link and do WRR on the rest of the traffic. Trust the dscp markings coming up the pipe. EF traffic always gets written into Queue 5 on comware.

Something like:

qos wrr

qos wrr 5 group sp

qos gts queue 5 cir <XX kbps>

qos trust dscp

If you do a search for "snackarelli qos hp" and have a look at the "wantegrity" blog you'll get a bit more insight and colour than just the manuals.  They are both good resources for doing some background reading for what you are about to do.

To be honest you should never have a lack of bandwidth these days in the LAN. You can always LACP into your 5700 core for additional active-active bandwidth. (plus 10Gb, 40Gb BiDi, are not that expensive). For me QOS should really only be a WAN conversation but I understand for completenes why you'd want a QOS config on the switches.

HTH

Ian

## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Edam!
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

QOS & ACL Guide for 5700 -

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=7268889&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04406875

Pages 44 and 38 IIRC.

Ta

Edam!
Twin_Turbo
Advisor

Thanks for that, will have a read and digest.

It was so much easier on the Cisco IOS.

As for bandwidth I don't have a shortage, the links are LACP and I have no issues to report.

It's just a box ticking excersice to complete an outstanding network healther report. I may just recomend that it's not required ( or just take the report literally as it says to do it on EDGE ports with no mention of the backbone)

Cheers

Rob