108791 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 5800 Schedule Reboot Delay

SOLVED
Go to solution
skellow
Visitor

5800 Schedule Reboot Delay

I see that the 5800 has the capability of schedule a reboot using the "schedule reboot delay" command. The documentation for the command states:

After you execute the command, the device will prompt you to confirm the configuration. You

must enter Y to make the configuration take effect. The original configuration will be overwritten

at the same time.

Does this mean the reboot will not happen unless the current running configuration is saved? I am looking to make changes to a remote stack and want the stack to reboot with the saved configuration, not the running configuration if there are problems with my changes.

Thank you.

Scott

4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Jobs can be made in the user-view and system-view.

Jobs in user-view are scheduled ad-hoc (not saved in config), while jobs in system-view are stored in the configuration file. This means that these jobs (if config is saved) will survive a system reboot.

This can be useful when you want every day certain ports online/offline based on a schedule (or remove poe from AP ports for example).

For a scheduled reboot, this is typically not something which must be repeated, so it would be an ad-hoc job in the user-view. This means you do not need to save the configuration, they will be scheduled the moment you enter the command.

The confirmation is problably just in case you had a previous reboot scheduled, so the new command will overwrite the existing reboot schedule.

best regards,Peter

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

We had a case recently with Comware 7 and the VSR1000 about this.  It could be dangerous to automatically save the running configuration before the scheduled reboot.  We have asked for a behavior change and not sure when we will see that.  I can ask about the 5800.

Do you know what version of code you are running?

Thanks!

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
skellow
Visitor

Thank you for the replies and the information on Comware 7. Our core switches are 5900's running version 7.1.035, Release 2209-US currently. The stack of 5800s we will be working on is running version 5.20.105, Release 1807P02-US. I have another stand-alone switch that id running version 5.20.105, Release 1808P08. I do plan on updating that switch soon and will try the reboot delay before that to see the operations. I will post a reply once that has been done. Thank you for being willing to follow up on the 5800s during your case.

Scott

skellow
Visitor
Solution

I have finally been able to perform my test. I can state that the reboot dely just prompts the user to confirm that is what they want to do. I had made a change to a port description without saving the running configuration. That change was not present following the restart.

Thanks to those that responded.

Scott